Metal vs. plastic fuel cans.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you can feel inside the cheaper jugs/plastics,they get kind of a slimy feel when they start to break down.what we've seen around here was from thin milk type jugs and plastic gas cans without the underwriters laboratories. Stamp on the side.just low quality cans.theres even a few gas stations around here that had to replace their tanks because the ethanol blend was breaking down the fiberglass or resin coating.either way I do not buy any fuel except 100% non ethanol at the local shell station.no problems yet.

That's the fuel container I saw at my Stihl dealer. I didn't take the time to price them though. Are they reasonably priced?

How's about a brand name and/or model number?

Its the "No Spill" can think they're around $20 for the 1 1/4 gallon can IIRC. I have a few and love them they have real thick plastic.

What happens to them that they die in a year or two?

I use a pre EPA 1 gal plastic blitz can for mix. 2 gal at a time in leaf blower season. I tried a new EPA approved no spill can. Spilled more mix in two days then I had in the previous two years. I've put away a stash of old school pre EPA spouts. I also have two 5gal military style cans. Haven't used em in a while. Better for storing, chitty for pouring.

When testing plastic gas cans for leaching, did you use new cans or old? Do they continue to leach? What, if any, we're the signs symptoms of the leaching? Aside from the saw with stuck rings?

The inside of the jugs would change color

Those no spill jugs are worth every penny, never spill gas again. Highly highly recommend them.

i'll post my sm or spout modification for the new style blitz cans later for those that hate the lever type spouts.soon as i get home to the internet

I have multiple steel Safety cans. I pour what Im going to use into smaller plastics when we go cutting. It returns to the Safety cans when I get home.

And since we are on the subject of fuel and cans, can somebody please explain to me why there are 2.5 gallon mixes but not 2.5 gallon jugs easily obtainable? I get that you could pour 2 of the 2.5 mixes and make 5 gallons of mix, but why still have 5 gallon mixes? And I don't think I've ever seen 2 gallon mixes for sale other than online. I don't know why I'm bothered by this, but I just am.

NO-SPILL gas cans come in 1.25g, 2.5g and 5gallon. They work great and are made in Kansas, USA.

NO-SPILL INC. | Lenexa, KS 66215
2.5 gallon: http://www.nospill.com/Gas-2.gif
Distributors: Distributors
Dealer Locator: No-Spill ZipCode Dealer Search

plastic will leach out all kinds of nasty stuff upon storage.

Have done that in a laboratory setting and seen all kinds of plasticizers show up. Tested and proven by GC/MS analyses. Lots of terpthalates etc......

And metal will not let ANY light through. Light starts the breakdown process.....

If you only store for < 1 month might not be a problem, for saws, sure is for chemistry.

I use 55- 0r 30-gal barrels, gerry jugs, and 1-gal Coleman cans.

Seems no one paid any attention to this post but I have a hunch he's on to somthing here. I have seen a rather often problem lately with plugged carb screens. They have a clear almost plastic looking coating on the and I thought to myself and wondered if the plastic cans are causing these issues with the ethanol and such.

I have been paying attention and seems this is not the first time now that I have heard this.

I'm curious as to if (presumably) this test was done with new plastic containers, or old ones. The question in my mind being: do the plastic containers continue to leach throughout their life? Or does it taper off? Or does it actually fail more over time?

I have some less than a year old and others 12 or 13 years old. I cannot tell that any of them have leached any. One is as good as the other.

OK if you Have the Old style Blitz spout that are the Black ones with the Yellow cap and want to Keep using those on the New style (After 06) with the Lever type Nozzles bust the Lever type Nozzle Apart and Keep the Collar that Screws on the Jug.Use the New Style Collar with the Old Style Spout.If you try Screwing the Old Collar and Nozzle onto the New style cans it will Leak.the threads and sealing portion of the Nozzle and Spouts are a bit Different between the two_Of course if you want to upgrade entirely they offer a new style spout with a (Dry Break) safety Do Ma Flatchy.they have them at lows and I upgraded my 5 gallon cans with those.Still using the Old style Nozzles on my 2 Gallon cans for ease of filling without spilling.
Here on the Blitz website they are called Hand e flo.Looks like they discontinued the Lever type where ou spilled more than you got in the tank.
http://www.blitzusa.com/hande/SK.html

Seems no one paid any attention to this post but I have a hunch he's on to somthing here. I have seen a rather often problem lately with plugged carb screens. They have a clear almost plastic looking coating on the and I thought to myself and wondered if the plastic cans are causing these issues with the ethanol and such.

I have been paying attention and seems this is not the first time now that I have heard this.

according to some papers I have read the plastic will leach until it becomes unusable.

FYI I prefer Metal cans.

Plastic is more porous then metal. Oxygen transfer is the main concern with plastic cans, it doesn't matter how tight the lid is. however the newer plastic cans are more dense / stable than the older ones and that is what I recommend if you don't like metal cans.

Last edited:
My Dad had some old metal cans. Galvanized steel, 2 & 5 gallons with capped spouts and larger center filler caps. I think one was for oil & the other fuel. apparently purchased back in the 70s. I wish I had those cans.

Back