Meteor and highway cylinder kits for Stihl ms660???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are cast in Asia. Ask any meteor dealer and they will know, because they have been told by Meteor that production runs of certain cylinders get backed up,because of casting issues in Asia.

They are completely finished in Italy, as in plating, machining and honing. So the chunk of Alumium comes from Asia, but it truly is “Made” in Italy.

They are of the highest quality AM jugs. Theirs ports are generally terrible though, and look at the transfer tunnels vs an OEM cylinder. There’s very little to no direction in the tunnels. The intake side bulge in the tunnels is mostly absent. Ive seen $10 China jugs with better tunnels.

They are cast in Asia. Ask any meteor dealer and they will know, because they have been told by Meteor that production runs of certain cylinders get backed up,because of casting issues in Asia.

They are completely finished in Italy, as in plating, machining and honing. So the chunk of Alumium comes from Asia, but it truly is “Made” in Italy.

They are of the highest quality AM jugs. Theirs ports are generally terrible though, and look at the transfer tunnels vs an OEM cylinder. There’s very little to no direction in the tunnels. The intake side bulge in the tunnels is mostly absent. Ive seen $10 China jugs with better tunnels.
But with a little elbow grease the one I got runs way nicer than any of the Chinese ones I I've got sitting on the bench because the NiCi is carp and the bores are egg shaped so my advice is if you go with AM go Metero at least then you know it will last.....

Not to slam what your saying on the transfer ports but the cylinder I got compared to the 064 transfer ports are still bigger not saying there's no room for improvements but if someone who had no way of porting they can just run them as is can't say I did that on mine because I did do a little bit on the intake and a good amount on the exhaust yes there different than OEM but I've seen some ugly in those to. And to tell you the truth now that I've held a meteor cylinder in my hand good luck trying to get me to buy a cheap Chinese cylinders ever again you do get what you pay for but with that said I still think Stihl cylinders are over priced that's my two cents.

Slam away. This is all opinion, and ones can’t really be wrong.

Bigger isn’t always better, especially with transfer ports. There’s volume and velocity at play. Furthermore, put a ring in the jugand mount it over the piston at BDC, then take it off and look at where your uppers are. Mark a line with a sharpie. You’ll be suprised to see that they aren’t fully opened at BDC, likely 1/2-3/4 is. So the extra height is meaningless and only slows down the charge.

Direction is the biggest issue. Let me see if I can grab some pics. What happens in the tunnels is what makes oem superior. I wish Meteor could just do better there.

View attachment 651312 Meteor 260

Mahle below.View attachment 651313

Do you see where the uppers are vs. lowers?

See the “bulge” inside the intake side of the tunnel on the oem?
I do understand what you are saying and the transfers but 99.9% of the stihl cylinders or AM cylinders at bdc will still cover the top transfers half to three quarter wich sucks because man there's a lot of power lost there. Direction on the meteor cylinder you have is really bad but the ms660 meteor cylinder I have not so bad could be better but but could be worse to. After I did my port work on on mine I was going to do some port work on the transfers but I decided not to until this winter but when I was cleaning it up with soapy water I always see how the uppers flow with water the direction of flow was not a problem they were flowing twords the intake side of the cylinder. But I'm happy with it and besides they all don't need to be 14,000rpm screamers it's big saw it's torque that is key I'm going to do a comparison check on mine this weekend to become it's got a lot more than I expected it would have and I did nothing to the base and I'm running a base gasket and squish is right at . 022 got lucky there I think.

The 066 I fitted with a meteor top end last summer, has ended up with another Arb lad I know. I saw him last week and his comment on the saw was “I’ve cut shitloads with it. It’s ****ing mint” end quote. Lots of back cuts, and logging up. That’s a good enough review for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meteor makes very good pistons but id say the cylinders are just ok. The plating is pretty good ports usually lack direction and flow details. Squish is usually decent timing is generally crappy tho. Hyway jugs have been the best timing, squish, plating, and port shapes of a middle of the road kit as i call em. Plating has been the hardest ive ever seen their pistons have been pretty dang good like between a meteor and a Vec as far as quality and shape/dimensions ie crown height ring pin location window shape/size and weight. I also sure wish tecomic waa still making kits as they were way better then meteor and hyway. They were litterally direct coppys of OEM. I bought a tecomic kit for one of my jonnys its a 50mm closed port its like a love child of a 670 and 266. It runs very strong probably the best running 670 saw i got. Very sporty and pulls a long bar well ive ran a 32 on it a few times.

Meteors pistons are indeed made in Italy, and are of very high quality.
Brad, is the 066/660 meteor piston heavier than OEM? Lighter would be a better performer I'm guessing.
If you were installing a new piston in an early 066 would you use a meteor or OEM?

Brad, is the 066/660 meteor piston heavier than OEM? Lighter would be a better performer I'm guessing.
If you were installing a new piston in an early 066 would you use a meteor or OEM?
The meteor piston is a little bit heavier but remember this 066 and ms660 are big saw's that are ment to have torque so a little less wait in the piston means less torque so if you like high revs get a smaller saw if you want it to cut with big bar and are cutting big wood get a lower rpm high torque saw. High rpm saws aren't always king they sound cool but that's just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back