Meteor/ Cabor question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder62

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
is a meteor piston with a cabor ring as good or equal to the quality of OEM Husqvarna

Thanks

I can't with certainty that it is equal in quality to OEM because frankly, I don't have enough experience to make a claim like that. What I can say is that I've used at least a half dozen Meteor piston kits in rebuild for myself and others and have had zero issues with them to date. Something else I can say is that in my experience, I don't think you can find a better AM piston kit than Meteor, and I don't think you will get closer to OEM quality than a Meteor, high dollar specialty pistons being an exception.

Meteor is an OE supplier to several engine manufacturers such as TM Racing. Their pistons and cylinders are as good as it gets without getting into the field of ultra-expensive specialty products such as Pistal and VHM: if properly installed and run-in they are equal to OE.

Meteor's only problems are the spottiness of their dealership network and the seemingly random nature of product availability: their catalog is mostly useless as it doesn't list a lot of products, such as most cylinder kits. For the rest top notch manufacturer, buy with complete confidence.

I prefer Oem pistons and when oem is not available than it is Meteor.
I have read a few times that they are a little bit heavier than Oem pistons.

Do you think you lost anything performance wise?
I really don't think so. Closest side x side comparison I have been able to do was with two saws at my job, a bone stock 395 and a 394 I overhauled with a Meteor but did a BG delete. Side x Side the 394 does have more torque. But the BG delete can account for that. And then there is the difference in the porting layout and design between the 394 and 395. What I can say is that the guy who runs those two saws the most tells me he feels the difference and grabs the 394 over the 395 just about every time.

I would say that with all things equal, you would need a dyno to see any difference in performance between an OEM piston and a Meteor. Seriously doubt even the most experienced chainsawer could tell the difference on the "seat of the pants" dyno.

is a meteor piston with a cabor ring as good or equal to the quality of OEM Husqvarna

Thanks

No, it is not. Probably the safest bet for a cheapy alternative.

Meteor pistons are probably the most consistent aftermarket brand. They still have changes in the production runs and occasionally sell a bad piston set as well. If you are going cheap, buy a meteor, if you want the best by OEM. The other AM brands are less consistent in all aspects, much more risk.

One exception might be 395 pistons. Got a couple dodgy looking OEM pistons and went with Meteor instead. They were selling a top notch 395 piston. Fit and finish on the Meteor 395 pistons was waaaaay better than the Meteor 372 and 385 pistons. Might be different now.

Pretty much stopped buying Meteor pistons for Stihls, exceptions being 361, 064s and 044s.

Another example of not trusting a brand would be the Tetomic pistons being sold now, the pistons for Husqvarna 365 are no where near a good as the Stihl 360 in any way. Cylinder sets are all over the place, just like the Meteor brand.

I still use Meteor, Tecomec and other brands of AM products but I do so with full knowledge that they are a non OEM replacement of questionable comparative quality. They do provide relatively cheap access to lots of fun with chainsaws.

Latest posts

Back