Meteor piston circlips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old-cat

Fir Man
Reaction score
Many thanks to the info about AM circlip problems. I was about to install the supplied clips in an MS360. Someone said MS361 clips are the ones to use. Is that the only or best option?
I need to get some good clips real QUICK!

I've replaced about a dozen pistons with Meteor piston (in different saws) this summer and used the clips that came with the piston and haven't had any problems; on one saw I have about 9 gallons thru it that I'm running all aftermarket parts in (that I rebuilt early this summer) :cool2:

I've replaced about a dozen pistons with Meteor piston (in different saws) this summer and used the clips that came with the piston and haven't had any problems; on one saw I have about 9 gallons thru it that I'm running all aftermarket parts in (that I rebuilt early this summer) :cool2:

I guess those pistons come with the caber rings, but who actually makes the clips?

watsonr says not to worry. STIHL clips are no better than Meteor. The chance of failure is practically nil.

I believe this thread was started to see how many failures are out there and your PM asking me what I think of Meteor clips. So I told you that OEM clips are prone to the same thing as aftermarket clips are. Bad material, installed wrong and that they also fail...... AND that in my experience, I've had no issues using the provided clips on about 100 saws... just like a bunch of other guys have said in various other threads. I worry every time I start a saw for the first time and it doesn't matter if its an OEM part or aftermarket... my cheeks are puckered.

I just recently rebuilt an 064 using OEM bearings and they were shot at about 30 seconds of run time.... why? Bad part, installed wrong, to much heat, not enough oil... I don't know why. I took every precaution and installed them just like I've done a hundred times, lubed in 2-stroke, fresh mix mixed at 40:1 and so on. Don't see me making a big deal about it. It is what it is, bad something and as a guy who rebuilds saws, I expect a small amount of failure. Neal says he tested the saw.... how long do you test a saw before you claim victory? That is the debate in that thread.... and a failure is a failure either way.

Aftermarket and OEM parts fail.... period.... You have just as good of a chance toasting a piston as throwing a clip.

Just installed a "Meteor piston & the circlips that came with the piston" in an 044 this am. The clips were the Springiest Clips I've ever installed. I wouldn't expect these Meteor clips to fail. This isn't to say the clips you received with your piston are the same as mine. deereguy

Just installed a "Meteor piston & the circlips that came with the piston" in an 044 this am. The clips were the Springiest Clips I've ever installed. I wouldn't expect these Meteor clips to fail. This isn't to say the clips you received with your piston are the same as mine. deereguy

Did yours have "double ears", single ear, or no ears?

Well, forget about saw parts failure. How about mechanic fail:bang: Those Meteor clips were like springs on a car STIFFFFFFF! My first try it launched to parts unknown, so I got the next one in, but the wrong side of the piston. When I took it out, it launched. So now I'm going to take the saw to the dealer and let him put the piston on.

Well, forget about saw parts failure. How about mechanic fail:bang: Those Meteor clips were like springs on a car STIFFFFFFF! My first try it launched to parts unknown, so I got the next one in, but the wrong side of the piston. When I took it out, it launched. So now I'm going to take the saw to the dealer and let him put the piston on.

Do like I do, I have a bunch of extra's because I can't get them in on the first try either. You'd think my floor would be littered with them.. nope, not a one, can't find a single one of them! I have about ten of each size from the dealer. I put the supplied clips in and if one goes flying, reach for a spare and don't think twice...... or loose any sleep.

Not sure what you mean by wrong side of the piston?

I have lots of experience assembling auto engine, saws are new to me. I have always put the clip in the opposite side from where I want to push the pin in. There's more room to work on the flywheel side so I put the clip in the clutch side first then put the piston and pin on the rod.

Back