Method for attaching nest box to trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
I'm planning on attaching some owl nest boxes between 20 and 30 ft. up on hardwood tree trunks. The nest boxes are made of wood and would typically be secured to the tree by nailing or screwing into the trunk. So my question is, what's the best way to do this to consider the health of the tree?

I'm thinking pre-drill pilot holes then attach with stainless steel wood screws. Should I dip them in rubbing alcohol or something like that to sterilize before screwing into the tree or am I over thinking this?

Thanks,
-moss

begleytree

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Whats your thinking here, that a few nails or screws will harm the tree?
if thats true, spiked trees in the forest (by idiots) and any tree along a city road/street would be dead, along with any tree cabled (not counting cobra)

nail/ screw your boxes to the tree, you're not going to kill it.
-Ralph

moss

ArboristSite Guru
begleytree said:
Whats your thinking here, that a few nails or screws will harm the tree?
if thats true, spiked trees in the forest (by idiots) and any tree along a city road/street would be dead, along with any tree cabled (not counting cobra)

nail/ screw your boxes to the tree, you're not going to kill it.
-Ralph

Thanks Ralph. I figured it would be fine but wanted to verify. There's so much talk about introducing pathogens etc. in arborist practice I wanted to make sure the standard attachment methods are ok from that point of view.

When you cable then I guess you just drill the hole and install the bolts, no other preventative treatment there? I'm a rec climber not an arborist so I'm lacking knowledge about some of this obvious (to you) stuff.
-moss

begleytree

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Moss, first off, I am NOT the final answer to all things tree care related :D

Second, not to start a big arguement, but take climbing spurs for example:
ROW, line clearance on the thru the woods lines are all spiked/spured. No sterialization between trees of any kind. Yet, every 3-4 years the same trees must be re-climbed to re-prune. If you were wanting to introduce a pathogen, imo, this would be the way to do it. yet little to no loss of trees, even from improper pruning practices and everything else.
Don't overthink it too much, trees are suprisingly resillient. They have to be, look at what other animals do to them, defoliation, de-limbing, bark removal/ girdling, ect.
imo, take the normal care you would while rec climbing not to unduely harm the tree, and you'll be fine.
-Ralph

CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
First, I want to agree with Begley...I used 3.5" decking screws to attach wood duck boxes to trees.

However, if you are concerned. Make up a couple brakets you can strap to the trees, and then attach the nest to the brackets. Leave yourself enough slack in the straps so you can loosen them up occasionally as the tree grows.

RaisedByWolves

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just split some oak this week and found about 8 3" long nails in a fairly tight group about 2-3 under the bark.

The tree seemed to deal with this fine, the nails, not so good.;)

buff

ArboristSite Operative
There is not going to be a perfect, satisfactory to attach the boxes to a tree. If you nail or screw them to the trunk they will in time fall off because the tree will grow and pull the nails or screws out. It may even fall off with your owls in the box. Is it possible that you sink a used telephone pole and put your boxes on that?

NORTHERN NYer

NORTHERN NYer

ArboristSite Member
Why not use galvanized pipe strapping with all the holes in it. You can get a roll of it fairly reasonable in the local hardware store or a Lowes or Home Depot. Screw it to the nest box on one side wrap it around the tree to the tightness you want it, and screw it to the other side of the box. You could always leave a foot or so extra on each side to loosen as the tree grows.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
buff said:
There is not going to be a perfect, satisfactory to attach the boxes to a tree. If you nail or screw them to the trunk they will in time fall off because the tree will grow and pull the nails or screws out. It may even fall off with your owls in the box. Is it possible that you sink a used telephone pole and put your boxes on that?

It's way too labor intensive and expensive to use a telephone pole when there are plenty of trees around. Telephone poles are used for Osprey and Bald Eagle nesting platforms out in marshes when there are no dead standing trees available.

Nesting boxes should be inspected each year before the next nesting season. They should be monitored and maintained so they can be reattached or repaired as the tree grows.

It sounds like stainless steel screws would be good. They won't rot in the tree and they'll hold the box more securely over time than nails.

Thanks for the comments,
-moss

buff

ArboristSite Operative
It should be easy enough to find a used telephone pole. If you can not find a pole, plant a rot resistent tree from one of your jobs. All you tree guys have a bucket truck to pick it up with and put it in the hole. And you all have gear to climb a pole. Where is the problem?

moss

ArboristSite Guru
buff said:
It should be easy enough to find a used telephone pole. If you can not find a pole, plant a rot resistent tree from one of your jobs. All you tree guys have a bucket truck to pick it up with and put it in the hole. And you all have gear to climb a pole. Where is the problem?

No problem Buff except I'm not an arborist, I'm a rec climber, don't have access to bucket trucks. The idea is to utilize existing trees. Screech Owls favor a nest box in a tree that has dense foliage so a telephone pole wouldn't be good. Your idea is a good one as a no impact concept but when there are lots of trees around with the right habitat characteristics, installing a pole becomes a lot of extra work. Put a rope in the tree, climb up and screw a nest box onto the trunk, that's it.
Thanks,
-moss

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
buff said:
All you tree guys have a bucket truck to pick it up with and put it in the hole. And you all have gear to climb a pole. Where is the problem?
Buff, the problems with your scenario are many.

Most tree guys don't have a bucket truck.

Most owl-nesting spots are not accessible by bucket truck.

How would you dig a hole deep enough to sink a pole?

How do you tamp it to make it stable?

And as far as this goes: "If you nail or screw them to the trunk they will in time fall off because the tree will grow and pull the nails or screws out.", trees grow around them, not pull them out.

Best to think your suggestions through a little more before posting.

buff

ArboristSite Operative
The nails become shorter because the tree grows in diameter. I do not know how else to say it except that the box is pushed off of the nails. you can dig three feet with a manual post hole digger. Water the dirt in for two feet and tamp it. Then add a sack of two of ready mix and finish filling the whole with dirt. If the pose is installed right next to a tree perhaps the owl would not mind.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
buff said:
you can dig three feet with a manual post hole digger.
Not me; even in FL that would be a hard job. Anywhere else, hard clay and bedrock woluld do most anyone in.

You also forget the little detail about lifting a tall heavy tree trunk into the hole.

But all this is beside the point. you can use finishing nails to attach the box. If you really want to be tree-friendly, pre-drill before you install a long screw, leaving room for expansion. Pick a hard hardwood for the box.

buff

ArboristSite Operative
Tie one end of a rope to the end of the log/pole. Throw the rope over a tree limb. Tie the other end to the bumper of a pickup or tractor. If you have a wench, that is even better.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
buff said:
Tie one end of a rope to the end of the log/pole. Throw the rope over a tree limb. Tie the other end to the bumper of a pickup or tractor. If you have a wench, that is even better.

I agree, having a wench is much better.:ices_rofl:

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
I couldn't get my wench to hang a bird house if I begged.
Putting a nail or screw into a hardwood is difficult because the wood is so hard. Pre-drill a hole slightly smaller than the screw and it will go in easily.
I like the idea of a screw because it can be moved out over time, and if the bird house ever needs maintenance, the screw can be pulled and replaced.
Spreading pathogens shouldn't be a huge problem, except for Oak Wilt, Dutch Elm Disease, and maybe a few others, so dipping the drill bit in some rubbing alcohol between trees wouldn't hurt. The screws should come from the store disease free.
Drilling a hole does open up a hole in the tree, but the screw effectively plugs it.
To spread a disease, you'd first have to drill an infected tree, then drill an uninfected tree of the same species. For the typical home owner it's not too likely, but it is something for the commercial guys to think about, with all the different trees you drill and cut.