Micro pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thillmaine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with use of micro pulley? I used one a couple of times and remeber liking it. I just bought one but cant figure out where to attach the snap (which attaches to the pulley) to. Any advice? or comments on likeablility of the tool itself?

If you are talking about the micro pulley which is used in conjunction with a flipline then you need a twisted clevis which attaches to the pulley like a shackel. There is a hole for this. THen What I do is use a caribiner to attach the clevis to my saddle.

Thillmaine said:
Anybody familiar with use of micro pulley? I used one a couple of times and remeber liking it. I just bought one but cant figure out where to attach the snap (which attaches to the pulley) to. Any advice? or comments on likeablility of the tool itself?
do u have pic there is a few diff pulleys

The micro pulley is a great tool for slack tending below an adbvanced friction hitch.... This allows many climbing techniques which are extremely effective at saving time and energy and would be nearly impossible otherwise... Too many to lsit here.... maybe I'll put it on paper one day...

Until then let me use this analogy... a professional climber usinf a friction hitch system without a micropulley is like a telemarketer using an old dial up telephone...

It amazes me that so many people in our profession are happy using obsolete technology....

Thillmaine said:
Try a dog leash snap (snap with a swivel) then a keychain carabiner attached to that then attached to the best point on either your saddle, split tail, snap, d-ring, etc.
Personally, after the blakes hitch, I feel the micro pully is one of the best arborist inventions to come along.

This is a picture of a micro pulley with a VT hitch. This is pretty much State-of-art at this point in time!!!

It might be better if the 'biner was rotated 180 degrees so that the whole assembly could be removed as a unit for a redirect!

attachment.php

Thillmaine ,I also use it as with a VT It is nice to have with your Blakes hitch as well. I attach it to the same carabiner my hitch is on via a swivel snap. I also use a micro pully on my two in one steel core saftey lanyard to advance the prusik, when I am doing removals with my gaffs..

rahtreelimbs said:
This is a picture of a micro pulley with a VT hitch. This is pretty much State-of-art at this point in time!!!

It might be better if the 'biner was rotated 180 degrees so that the whole assembly could be removed as a unit for a redirect!

attachment.php
I noticed the tails on the double fisherman's knots are too short. Four times rope diameter is a good rule of thumb.
We won't even get into your choice of cord or biner...:notrolls2:

Mike Maas said:
I noticed the tails on the double fisherman's knots are too short. Four times rope diameter is a good rule of thumb.
We won't even get into your choice of cord or biner...:notrolls2:

Good catch Mike!!!

That was a pic I pulled up on a search. Looks like Sta-set to me............whats wrong with that and the pulley???

It's late maybe I ain't seein' right!!!:laugh:

kkottemann said:
If you are talking about the micro pulley which is used in conjunction with a flipline then you need a twisted clevis which attaches to the pulley like a shackel. There is a hole for this. THen What I do is use a caribiner to attach the clevis to my saddle.

If you already have a clevis with a twist, ditch the pulley! The clevis will operate the same way as the pulley to tend your flipline friction hitch.

I use a petzl fixe for tending my climbing hitch (schwabisch prussic). The fixe is nice, no sharp edges.

woodchux,
I was wondering the same thing. At Sherrill's booth at TCI Expo, they were using the 'micro mouse pulley'. The lower 'ear' was 'binered to the saddle and had the VT knot hanging off it on the standing end of the rope, while the upper 'ear' of the pulley was 'binered to the eye-spliced working end of the rope. Your life hangs on the small amount of aluminum in the frame between the two ears... nice thick, strong carabiners, with an apparent weak link between them...? Are my fears unfounded? What is the ABS of that micro pulley?

Last edited:
Back