Might not be around for a while

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Everyone for your kind words. It's surprising how much the kindness of strangers helps. In the opposite vein last evening I had an early dinner with my sons family. Then I helped with the grandchildren (3 and 6 years old) bath and bedtime stories. I told them stories of their "nonna" (grandma) which they really enjoyed and wanted more. For a few magical minutes I had some peace.

We're not having a formal funeral. We're gathering in a few weeks time in a large park down by the Swan River facing Perth city for a celebration of her life. I am amazed at the number o people coming out of the wood work that knew her (I tend to keep a low profile) and have such wonderful things to say about her.

Thanks Everyone for your kind words. It's surprising how much the kindness of strangers helps. In teh opposite vein last evening I had an early dinner with my sons family. Then I helped with the grandchildren (3 and 6 years old) bath and bedtime stories. I told them stories of their "nonna" (grandma) which they really enjoyed and wanted more. For a few magical minutes I had some peace.

We're not having a formal funeral. We're gathering in a few weeks time in a large park down by the Swan River facing Perth city for a celebration of her life. I am amazed at the number o people coming out of the wood work that knew her (I tend to keep a low profile) and have such wonderful things to say about her.
You're stronger than you know, and talking about her to the kiddos is great therapy! She sounds like she was a life well lived, you can feel thankful for the time you shared, though it was cut short. One day at a time my friend from the other side of the globe, peace out!

My heartfelt thoughts and condolences go out to you. We have never met , but you will be in our prayers. Stay strong , she will always be with you.

My wife and soul mate (Amanda) of 46 years died suddenly on Sunday and I am pretty shattered. I have a son and daughter-in-law and two wonderfull grandkids, 9 siblings, 8 in-laws, 30 nieces and nephews, 21 great nieces and nephew, great neighbours and friends, but have never felt so alone. The house is full of Amanda's arts, crafts and nicknacks so the memories of her are very strong and at times over whelming. Eventually I hope to eventually get back to contribution to these forums.
Sending our love to you Bob. Mike and Trish

Bob, knowing the Generosity, and willingness you show here , in sharing your knowledge and Friendship, it doesn’t surprise me, that your Mate would attract people around her, that would speak so well of her, or so many that do so. Birds of a Feather, flock together, it is no surprise that you found such a partner in Life.

Hang in there, and just keep focusing on all the Good Times that you shared, I have no doubt that there are many

Doug

Hopefully she left peacefully and in as little pain as possible.
Amanda died of a brain aneurism followed rapidly by a massive heart attack. The doctors reckoned it would have been all over in 30 seconds. I was watching the TV 2 rooms away from the bathroom where she collapsed. I heard her fall and went in to find her on the floor. I was in complete shock and could not move her or even use my cell phone I all fingers and thumbs so I ran outside and called for help.

It was midday on a Sunday and usually our street is very quiet but the next door neighbour and her son were talking to another neighbour across the St and they came immediately inside and while the son called the Ambulance, the others 2 started CPR . Incredibly one neighbour had done a CPR refresher course two days before hand plus the Ambulance people on the phone guided them over the phone. Then another neighbours turned up - he's a doctor and she's a nurse. Two ambulances arrived within 10 minutes and a 3rd one after another 5 minutes. The paramedics worked on Amanda for about 20 minutes then strapped an external CPR pump on her chest and an air pump on her face and raced to a hospital only about 10 minutes away but they would have got there quicker. Traffic was very light.

At the hospital they repeated applied a defibrillator and got her heart started but she could not breathe without a respirator and sadly never regained consciousness. They did scans to find the aneurism but it was too massive to do anything with. Blood tests also confirmed she had suffered from a heat attack. At this stage we finally got to see her and she was just laying peacefully hooked up to about a dozen machines to help keep her alive After a few minutes the doctors said her blood pressure was too low and warned us she might only last anywhere from an hour to 24 hours at most.

My father died of the same thing when he was 74 but he lasted 48 hours between collapse and death and although he was unconscious the whole time he could at least breathe on his own. The 48 hours up to his death from a final massive heart attack was outwardly distressing (he was moaning, grimacing and writhing in what looked like severe pain, and eventually his skin turned a purple-red! colour). My mother who watched all this insisted he was conscious and kept talking to him because the docs said he might have been able to hear something. Even though the docs said dad probably felt nothing during this period I was dreading Amanda would go thru the same process which would really have distressed my son and daughter in law who were with me the whole time, Amanda lasted just 3 hours. It was mercifully a peaceful passing. She was only 67 years old.

I doubt there was anything else that could have been done - everyone, the neighbours, the paramedics, the hospital staff, all did their very best. In fact they were all fantastic. Thanks to our universal health cover this whole scenario cost me Zero.

I've described these events multiple times on emails, SMS etc and even though I go thru the pain every time I do but I'm finding it very cathartic.

Amanda died of a brain aneurism followed rapidly by a massive heart attack. The doctors reckoned it would have been all over in 30 seconds. I was watching the TV 2 rooms away from the bathroom where she collapsed. I heard her fall and went in to find her on the floor. I was in complete shock and could not move her or even use my cell phone I all fingers and thumbs so I ran outside and called for help.

It was midday on a Sunday and usually our street is very quiet but the next door neighbour and her son were talking to another neighbour across the St and they came immediately inside and while the son called the Ambulance, the others 2 started CPR . Incredibly one neighbour had done a CPR refresher course two days before hand plus the Ambulance people on the phone guided them over the phone. Then another neighbours turned up - he's a doctor and she's a nurse. Two ambulances arrived within 10 minutes and a 3rd one after another 5 minutes. The paramedics worked on Amanda for about 20 minutes then strapped an external CPR pump on her chest and an air pump on her face and raced to a hospital only about 10 minutes away but they would have got there quicker. Traffic was very light.

At the hospital they repeated applied a defibrillator and got her heart started but she could not breathe without a respirator and sadly never regained consciousness. They did scans to find the aneurism but it was too massive to do anything with. Blood tests also confirmed she had suffered from a heat attack. At this stage we finally got to see her and she was just laying peacefully hooked up to about a dozen machines to help keep her alive After a few minutes the doctors said her blood pressure was too low and warned us she might only last anywhere from an hour to 24 hours at most.

My father died of the same thing when he was 74 but he lasted 48 hours between collapse and death and although he was unconscious the whole time he could at least breathe on his own. The 48 hours up to his death from a final massive heart attack was outwardly distressing (he was moaning, grimacing and writhing in what looked like severe pain, and eventually his skin turned a purple-red! colour). My mother who watched all this insisted he was conscious and kept talking to him because the docs said he might have been able to hear something. Even though the docs said dad probably felt nothing during this period I was dreading Amanda would go thru the same process which would really have distressed my son and daughter in law who were with me the whole time, Amanda lasted just 3 hours. It was mercifully a peaceful passing. She was only 67 years old.

I doubt there was anything else that could have been done - everyone, the neighbours, the paramedics, the hospital staff, all did their very best. In fact they were all fantastic. Thanks to our universal health cover this whole scenario cost me Zero.

I've described these events multiple times on emails, SMS etc and even though I go thru the pain every time I do but I'm finding it very cathartic.
Each person finds their way to cope with trauma and you "SEEM" to have a healing working from within starting.
I couldn't hit the Like Icon and the Sad Icon wasn't much better. Keeping up with Your Family and friends will fill in some of your time rough times. Hoping for the best for you in the months and years to come.

Latest posts

Back