mill race

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
Why are all the chainsaw races bucking cuts? Are sawyers just nucking futs? Why not have an Alaskan mill race. Seems this would take more talent to do consistently and quickly. Of course, the Predator wouldn't work too well. :hmm3grin2orange:

Finally, Space says something about chainsaws that REALLY makes sense.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: or was it just something about chainsaws.. never mind...

Most board area (bd foot doesn't work) in a given time, or.... it could be an endurance race .. last to blow up with most wood milled... least gas used... longest lasting chains.. nice... lots of ways to win or loose - this could be fun...:)

Yup Space, that is a great idea!

Or even a firewood prossed in a fixed time. Another idea I think would be fun would be to set up Drag style light trees for cookie cutting on both ends of a log, the lights could measure staging the bar above the cut, DQ'ed for an early jump and set your time when the cookie falls/bar makes the cut.

Sort of a fun idea really, how about some 15-20" diam. X 10' long hardwoods and give each team a specific amount of fuel (say 1/2 gallon or w.h.y), and see how much each person produces, points for time, bf and quality of finish, safe work habits, etc. etc. (lots of possiblities), then maybe an auction for the boards with proceeds going to the old loggers home or some local worthy charities? :rock:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Sprig said:
Sort of a fun idea really, how about some 15-20" diam. X 10' long hardwoods and give each team a specific amount of fuel (say 1/2 gallon or w.h.y), and see how much each person produces, points for time, bf and quality of finish, safe work habits, etc. etc. (lots of possiblities), then maybe an auction for the boards with proceeds going to the old loggers home or some local worthy charities? :rock:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Half a gallon?> In an 066 milling? - HA!!!! Not many boards... bf doesn't work - I'll just cut my log twice and it's done.

Lakeside53 said:
Half a gallon?> In an 066 milling? - HA!!!! Not many boards... bf doesn't work - I'll just cut my log twice and it's done.
LOL, true, you'd have to require 1 or 2 inch thickness X 8-10" or something like that, then it would. :)

Sprig said:
LOL, true, you'd have to require 1 or 2 inch thickness X 8-10" or something like that, then it would. :)

Now you're talking - and part of the score could be consistency of thickness... and another - "smoothness".

this would be interesting. seems more like a GTG thing. in a show i think the viewers would get bored.. when i did milling with a 181 and 046 mag it was slow.. could have been that my chain was a round filed hack that i did myself before i learned much about chain.

spacemule said:
Why are all the chainsaw races bucking cuts? Are sawyers just nucking futs? Why not have an Alaskan mill race. Seems this would take more talent to do consistently and quickly.

Probably the same reason anyone would rather have a race between 2 stock cars than 2 minivans--it's more fun.

Chris B.

cbfarmall said:
Probably the same reason anyone would rather have a race between 2 stock cars than 2 minivans--it's more fun.

Chris B.
Seems to me the difference would be closer to the Indy 500 compared to a 1/4 mile drag strip. :cheers:

Anyone ever see a split rail competition?

All with wedges and axes they split 8 rails out of one 10 ft log. These are "real men."

Fred

Rotax Robert said:
our buddies from down under have been making posts for years. Not exactly milling but a rip cut just the same.

Rotax

Sounds good to me. Seems like that would be a better crowd pleaser, yet still be more "real world" than just bucking cuts alone. Sure, bucking is real world, but that's not all there is.

"real men"? That's a laugh. Pretty sad if the stature of manliness is judged by how fast your saw is or how many rails you can hew. How about doing things for fun without all the "measuring".

Quick shoot me, I'm starting to sound like Dr. Phil!:biggrinbounce2:

How bout chainsaw mill racing in the back of a pimped out off road lamborghini with naked chicks draped across the hood going a buck-fifty, off-road?:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back