Milled Jarrah and pieces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogito

Cogito ergo sum
Reaction score
IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0063.JPGIMG_0064.JPGIMG_0065.JPGIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0067.JPG
Thought I'd pos some photo's of milled Jarrah collection. This all came from the property where I grew up. When mum an dad sold the place and the buyer was going to level the block I had a chat with the demo crew and for$500 they cut the logs into the lengths I'd marked and delivered them to my house. I ended up with 29 slabs, all milled with my MS381 in an Alaskan style mill. I would conservatively value them at around $4500.

I hope I haven't crashed the servers. I might of got a little excited with the number of photo's.

IMG_0072.JPGIMG_0073.JPGIMG_0101.JPGIMG_0102.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    975.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    828 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Yeah,
WAAAY too many pictures
Too many of exactly the same pictures - 20 pictures of the same cutting board!!! what's the point of that? One is enough provided its a decent picture.
Too many dud pics - out of focus pictures are pointless no matter how pretty the wood is - if the pic is not sharp don't post it.
No one will look at your stuff if you keep posting pics like that.
Besides - you will give us Western Australian's a bad name :)

Yeah, I need to learn some more computer skills. It takes me ages to try to upload a selection of photos so I tend to just select a clump.

Yeah,
WAAAY too many pictures
Too many of exactly the same pictures - 20 pictures of the same cutting board!!! what's the point of that? One is enough provided its a decent picture.
Too many dud pics - out of focus pictures are pointless no matter how pretty the wood is - if the pic is not sharp don't post it.
No one will look at your stuff if you keep posting pics like that.
Besides - you will give us Western Australian's a bad name :)

I cleaned 'em up. Just a few duplications too many.

It is beautiful wood, though. How much time did you spend ripping all those logs? That looks like a very serious pile of hard work.

Also, how well does that wood hold it's color? A lot of very pretty wood doesn't stay the same color with time.

Wood database: https://www.wood-database.com/jarrah/

"Color/Appearance: Heartwood color ranges from a light red or brown to a darker brick red; tends to darken with exposure to light. Thin sapwood is a pale yellow to pink."

"Workability: Jarrah tends to be difficult to machine on account of its high density and interlocked grain. Jarrah also has a moderate blunting effect on cutting edges. Jarrah turns, glues, and finishes well."

"Comments: Because of its great durability and common occurrence, Jarrah is a useful timber for exterior projects in Australia. Its vibrant red color, and high density add to its marketability for use as a flooring material. Jarrah burl is also prized among wood turners, with its tight knots, swirling grain, and rich colors giving an aesthetically pleasing appearance."

I cleaned 'em up. Just a few duplications too many.

It is beautiful wood, though. How much time did you spend ripping all those logs? That looks like a very serious pile of hard work.

Also, how well does that wood hold it's color? A lot of very pretty wood doesn't stay the same color with time.
The milling is more time consuming and monotonous than hard. I think it took most of a week. Because I was doing it with a smallish saw, I was having to run the chain through the grinder every two or three cuts. I haven’t found a product that can preserve that colour but I’m still looking.

Wood database: https://www.wood-database.com/jarrah/

"Color/Appearance: Heartwood color ranges from a light red or brown to a darker brick red; tends to darken with exposure to light. Thin sapwood is a pale yellow to pink."

"Workability: Jarrah tends to be difficult to machine on account of its high density and interlocked grain. Jarrah also has a moderate blunting effect on cutting edges. Jarrah turns, glues, and finishes well."

"Comments: Because of its great durability and common occurrence, Jarrah is a useful timber for exterior projects in Australia. Its vibrant red color, and high density add to its marketability for use as a flooring material. Jarrah burl is also prized among wood turners, with its tight knots, swirling grain, and rich colors giving an aesthetically pleasing appearance."
Jarrah is hard as **** when it’s dry but not so much when it’s green.

Jarrah is hard as **** when it’s dry but not so much when it’s green.

Like to think of it of the softest of our local hardwoods. Aside from durability & burning characteristics, part of the reason so favoured as a timber & firewood species is ease of milling & splitting.

Processing a bit of curly grained karri, coastal marri or some tuart makes one realise that. Heaven forbid some wandoo or a bit of yate.

I’ve never worked on any of the desert timbers but they are meant to be on another level.

Very few Aussie woods looks the same same when they're first cut but Jarrah is especially this way inclined..
Here's a photo of one I cut in 2008.
grain3.jpg
It looks like a false colour but it was even more Claret/purple than the phot shows.

Here's one I cut up a few months back - this one is more traditional but I've seen it from pink to deep chocolate brown straight off the log.
Jarrah2.jpg
This one was cut down maybe 80? year before it was milled
Bigslab1.jpg
bligslabdetail.jpg

Jarrah has a deep significance for me as my father was a timber faller and I remember as a kid dad coming home covered in this deep red sawdust. Sometimes I also went with dad to the bush with dad and watched him fall trees. Every time I cut Jarrah , it brings back all these memories.

Like to think of it of the softest of our local hardwoods. Aside from durability & burning characteristics, part of the reason so favoured as a timber & firewood species is ease of milling & splitting.
Processing a bit of curly grained karri, coastal marri or some tuart makes one realise that. Heaven forbid some wandoo or a bit of yate.
I agree, the only thing that I mill regular that's softer than Jarrah is Marri but all the other natives timbers are much harder.
I don't even mind milling Jarrah when its dry.
When jarrah logs comes into the yard for process I run my hands together - I love milling it.
This is only a small piece but its about 100 years since it came off teh tree as dry as a bone and it was very easy to cut.
IMG_5363.jpg

Its very difficult to photograph the true colour of many things but Jarrah seems especially challenging.
Several things can affect the photographic record colours.
- some jarrah contains some colours that are out of digital cameras and even the human eyes ability to record true colour.
- incidental lighting fluorescents are a classic colour change
- the presence of large areas of other coloured objects in the vicinity of the wood being photographed.

Going back to the OPs pictures, I notice some of then have a green-yellow tinge I think it may be due to the lighting
Here's one
cogitosjarrah.jpg
I put the photo through a very mild colour balancing and colour temp adjustments and came up with this
cogitosjarrah2.jpg
I'm not claiming this is more correct but it shows what photographing things can do,

I’ve never worked on any of the desert timbers but they are meant to be on another level.
Doesn't have to be desert,
Local timber wise, compared to Jarrah, Karri is a bit harder, Tuart and Blackbut are harder still, Wandoo is right up there with Ironbark (an eastern states tree). Rock Oak is also extremely hard.
Foreigners to our state are, Lemon Scented and Spotted gum, much harder than Jarrah, Old Boxwood right up there as well.
Tuart and Boxwood are notorious for drawing up and depositing Silica (sand) in the wood when they are water stressed. Sometimes you can see sparks while milling these. Tuart also leaves a black gummy residue on the chain that makes it seem harder than it really is

If I had encountered Iron bark the first time I milled a tree I would have probably given up. Even when I first encountered it, probably up in the 150 logs cut mark, I still found it very daunting.

Very few Aussie woods looks the same same when they're first cut but Jarrah is especially this way inclined..
Here's a photo of one I cut in 2008.
View attachment 967817
It looks like a false colour but it was even more Claret/purple than the phot shows.

Here's one I cut up a few months back - this one is more traditional but I've seen it from pink to deep chocolate brown straight off the log.
View attachment 967818
This one was cut down maybe 80? year before it was milled
View attachment 967820
View attachment 967821

Jarrah has a deep significance for me as my father was a timber faller and I remember as a kid dad coming home covered in this deep red sawdust. Sometimes I also went with dad to the bush with dad and watched him fall trees. Every time I cut Jarrah , it brings back all these memories.
So you must be a fellow Western Australian.

Its very difficult to photograph the true colour of many things but Jarrah seems especially challenging.
Several things can affect the photographic record colours.
- some jarrah contains some colours that are out of digital cameras and even the human eyes ability to record true colour.
- incidental lighting fluorescents are a classic colour change
- the presence of large areas of other coloured objects in the vicinity of the wood being photographed.

Going back to the OPs pictures, I notice some of then have a green-yellow tinge I think it may be due to the lighting
Here's one
View attachment 967826
I put the photo through a very mild colour balancing and colour temp adjustments and came up with this
View attachment 967825
I'm not claiming this is more correct but it shows what photographing things can do,
Yeah, I’ve got flouro’s in the workshop. I don’t really know much about the camera in my iPhone but there are probably some adjustments I could make.

Swan River mahogany.
What with Alcoa extracting bauxite where it grows, and dieback (Phytophera) to which it is susceptible, the future for the species is not that rosy.

Swan River mahogany.
What with Alcoa extracting bauxite where it grows, and dieback (Phytophera) to which it is susceptible, the future for the species is not that rosy.
Sorry, what’s the Swan River mahogany? I try to stick to the Latin. Otherwise you have to remember a bunch of names for the same tree.

Back