Milled my first log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Too cool.

Cut some 15" diameter ash in 4' lengths to build a bench I saw on this site and got one log cut in half.

Mini Mill and 048 did pretty well. I was able to bog her down easily pushing too hard. It took longer to set it up than to saw it in half. I didnt time it but would guess 1-2 minutes with a sharp standard chain. Not as smooth as some pics Ive seen using 0-10 deg chain.

Now every tree I look at I can see beams and lumber and Im looking at Alaskan mills and MS660's.

Looks like a busy summer.

Awesome. I am really interested in getting a mill. It looks like fun. Most people will say how did you do that.

I predict lots of sawdust in both or your futures. Go and get counseling fast. It is very addictive...:clap: :clap:

Only if by "counseling" you mean someone that counsels you to buy more chainsaws (and recommends types). Heck, I'm already addicted with multiple saws and I haven't even milled my first log yet...I think that spells trouble.

cjk - put some pictures up so we can see!

Tyler

Trouble maker, pure trouble. Keep up the good work. And two cups of sawdust a day for fiber!!

Kevin

Cool - I posted pics of my first log a few weeks back got a couple cuts in (got rained out) and just finished it up yesterday sorry no pics I was solo!! I was surprised how fast it went and it is absolutley addicting!!! I have a stack of red oak in the garage that I can't help but visit a few times a day just to remind myself it belongs to me and how nice it will look once its planed and put to use. Congrats , I want a mini for making beams does it seem to be especially good for that?? Keep it up. Happy memorial weekend to everyone and happy milling.

Cool - I posted pics of my first log a few weeks back got a couple cuts in (got rained out) and just finished it up yesterday sorry no pics I was solo!! I was surprised how fast it went and it is absolutley addicting!!! I have a stack of red oak in the garage that I can't help but visit a few times a day just to remind myself it belongs to me and how nice it will look once its planed and put to use. Congrats , I want a mini for making beams does it seem to be especially good for that?? Keep it up. Happy memorial weekend to everyone and happy milling.

Just a bunch of sawdust junkies. :cheers: :cheers: :clap:

2 gallons of gas, sharp chain , sawdust and exhaust spit in your face and a pile of wood you can't even buy in the box store or afford in the local lumberyard I'm in love signed up for life!! It really is a unique and rewarding expirence!!

A lost cause, completely lost.

Next you will want a sawmill.

Then.............no end in sight.

Glad you are milling. Put a different angle on your chain and you will be impressed even more, it will be a little slower but wow, makes nice lumber.

THe mimi mill is a great beam maker.It has the most comfortable position of any csm i know of. Simply a pleasure to mill with:) Mark

The good thing about milling your own lumber is you will try some woodworking projects you would never have done if you had to “buy” the wood. I use to be just a wood user, build barns and camps. I sucked awful at wood working. Now I am doing more projects and my skill level is up to just sucking. My goal is in a few years be able to build a bird box that a blue bird would not be embarrassed to live in. Your excitement will not end. In a few months you will be pricing band mills. The best of luck to you.

yup, as Deeker says, it's only a matter of time and you guys will all have multiple mills and saws and eventually a full blown cabinet grade woodshop to turn all that "free" lumber into usable things like cherry corner hutches and porch swings like this one below. OK, maybe the wood is not exactly free... but in the long run, cheaper than retail lumber yards, and custom cut to boot. Plus, there is something very satisfying relaxing on the porch on a bench/swing that you made from wood you milled yourself, wood you saved from the landfill or firewood pile.
swing.jpg

Hey!

I was looking into buying a alaskin mill....but then I figured that it would take too much time to cut the pile of logs I have in fromt of my garage....so I started looking around. I ended up buying a manual bandsaw mill for about $4500. Yea it hurt to spend that kinda cash.....but I have the rest of the summer to try and make some of that back.

I have piles off wood now and some turning blanks!!!! It is soo addicting.....I need therapy!

If your interested about where to get the mill (Linn lumber bandsaw mill) but theres a catch, a guy in Michigan builds the kits and throws a 15 horse motor on for about $5000 total....(he is no longer selling them for $4500). Also, nice thing is that this thing comes on a trailer too.....totally portable!!!!

Thanks slabmaster I was wondering about that. I can see how it would come in real handy and compliment a regular mill!! Great work on the projects guys and I can see that you are right about the "extra" equipment!!

The more I look at it, I think it may be oak.
scaled.php

Heres the old 048 with Mini Mill
dscn0601gn2.jpg

Looks like my digicam is having eyelid problems.

:)
I just cut a log that looked EXACTLY the same...It turned out to be white oak! Nice stuff!

Nice chainsaw too :) How long does it take to mill through a log?

Latest posts

Back