Milled some more Cedar today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice looking cedar log... most of the cedar I get around here when I do, is smaller diameter, and often is not as strait and solid as that log. I did mill up some cedar in Jan, and it is dry now, in a pile in my garage, and walking even near the garage you get a good whiff of the stuff, I love it. Running through the saws and planers in the woodshop (my basement) smells up the whole house. Nobody complains.

I think I will go buy a granby small log saw tomorrow...you have inspired me...I'd say my wife will be pissed, but I brought in a scavenged pile of still wet red oak last night fire the stove, and she was pissed because I couldn't get the trunk intact...:jawdrop:

she is right tho'...it had a pretty figure for red oak...

plus i know where there is some big blow down cedar...:greenchainsaw:

aromatic cedars my favorite softwood,!
and thats a really nice one. same goes for me regarding size, theyre kinda small form what i see around here.. ive found big white cedar though,

i recently started using soem cedar i salvaged for making woodturnings. i use to jsut use it for flutes but wow what a nice wood it is to turn. i made red cedar wine goblets ,bowls and magic wands at a craft fair i just did(took my mini-lathe) the demonstrations were a big hit,gotta do that again.

hey i love that guard-rail trailer ya got , genius
i see another piece up against a tree.what do you use that for?

also pretty cool that just those spring clamps on the L-bar on the log are enough to keep the ladder there,im surprised

nice stuff ;)

aromatic cedars my favorite softwood,!
and thats a really nice one. same goes for me regarding size, theyre kinda small form what i see around here.. ive found big white cedar though,

i recently started using soem cedar i salvaged for making woodturnings. i use to jsut use it for flutes but wow what a nice wood it is to turn. i made red cedar wine goblets ,bowls and magic wands at a craft fair i just did(took my mini-lathe) the demonstrations were a big hit,gotta do that again.

hey i love that guard-rail trailer ya got , genius
i see another piece up against a tree.what do you use that for?

also pretty cool that just those spring clamps on the L-bar on the log are enough to keep the ladder there,im surprised

nice stuff ;)

The extra piece of guard rail is used to make a ramp up onto the trailer so that I can use a come-a-long to winch the log onto the trailer. I have to admit that the blue spring clamps were pretty weak and had to be readjusted a couple times during the cut. On the other end were some smaller spring clamps that held very well. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Nice pics. The cedar around here that I've seen is small too, mostly 6" stuff and the bigger examples I've eyeballed have 2 small trunks instead of one main. I'm all out of bullets for ya Dusty... someone tag him for me.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Ive got a few more good sized ones still standing. Maybe when your new 372 is ready we can drop one or two and mill them up.

That cedar will dry quickly this time of year. Even 8/4 stuff won't take all summer. Not so with hardwoods like oak/maple/cherry... but cedar, most pine and also poplar I found do dry pretty quickly stickered like that out in the open in spring/summer. My 5/4 poplar I stickered last spring was dry enough to work with in 6 weeks. 5/4 redcedar like yours I stickered about a month ago is already down to less than 20%.

That cedar will dry quickly this time of year. Even 8/4 stuff won't take all summer. Not so with hardwoods like oak/maple/cherry... but cedar, most pine and also poplar I found do dry pretty quickly stickered like that out in the open in spring/summer. My 5/4 poplar I stickered last spring was dry enough to work with in 6 weeks. 5/4 redcedar like yours I stickered about a month ago is already down to less than 20%.

One other thing that I have noticed about cedar is that it stays flat after it has dried and has minimal checking even when the ends arent sealed.

Back