Milled some Walnut yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess my major concern is safety. I have had a few straps break on the 3/8. is the .325 more likely to break then the 3/8. That a lot of teeth to sharpen also. I think I'll order a loop and put it through a mtngun torture test and see how it fares. To be continued.....

I guess my major concern is safety. I have had a few straps break on the 3/8. is the .325 more likely to break then the 3/8. That a lot of teeth to sharpen also. I think I'll order a loop and put it through a mtngun torture test and see how it fares. To be continued.....
Aggie didn't report any breaks, but he did say that it gets too stretchy on longer bars, only recommends up to 40-something inches.

Bailey's doesn't sell any non-safety semi-chisel by the loop. Most of the 325 semi-chisel you will find is going to be safety chain for homeowner saws. Aggie uses Carlton K3C.

I've been using Oregon 404 ripping chain and really liked it but I just ordered some new chain from Baileys and they said that people don't typically like Oregon chain for milling because it's too soft and stretches out too much. I bought woodland pro chain (Carlton). Tomorrow will be my first day milling with the new chain -- I'm hoping that I don't have to sharpen as much.

Not sure how much that helps (404 vrs 325) but I'll be reporting the results.

Aggie didn't report any breaks, but he did say that it gets too stretchy on longer bars, only recommends up to 40-something inches.

Bailey's doesn't sell any non-safety semi-chisel by the loop. Most of the 325 semi-chisel you will find is going to be safety chain for homeowner saws. Aggie uses Carlton K3C.

I'm not sure the increase is worth the possibility if the chain stretching and coming off the bar. The first time that happened with my grangberg It cut one of the bar clamping bolts half way through. I already have enough problems when I'm milling. I don't need any other things to go wrong when I'm out in the field.

I do have a 42 inch bar I might order a loop of Woodland pro 23rc for and give it a try. I have been meaning to get a smaller bar like 36 inches.

I've been using Oregon 404 ripping chain and really liked it but I just ordered some new chain from Baileys and they said that people don't typically like Oregon chain for milling because it's too soft and stretches out too much. I bought woodland pro chain (Carlton). Tomorrow will be my first day milling with the new chain -- I'm hoping that I don't have to sharpen as much.

Not sure how much that helps (404 vrs 325) but I'll be reporting the results.

I had been thinking about moving up to 404 but I'm pretty happy with the 3/8 I've been running. I like the fact that 404 is heaver and it stays sharper longer. I think the only thing that's stopping me is the possibility of power loss.

The 076 seemed to have no problem with 3/8 chain so I could switch to 404. The 066 always seems to be right on the edge of being to small. The power increase switching to .325 would be a welcome treat. I'm thinking The 066 might be destined for a bb kit soon anyways.

I'm thinking that having two mills setup might speed things up anyways.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers a while back when I was having trouble cutting a spruce log. I finally figured out it wasn't the chain at all. My bar was actually getting wore out. I flipped the bar every chain change and I think I just wore it out. I've tried various ways to get the grove closed And I'm about to order the WoodlandPRO Chain Saw Bar Rail Closer to see If i can get a few more cuts out of it. Does anyone have anything to say about the rail closer?

Next question is I need to replace this double ended 56 inch bar with something else and I have capacity of 46 inches now which is fine most of the time but I do have to trim some logs. I have a 42 inch bar now so I'm fine for smaller stuff but I need a bar that can do 50-55 inches. Any recommendations on long bars. I see tons of bars but I don't want to buy junk. I want one that will last me for a while.

I just had a 66" double end bar made at chain bar repairing http://www.chainbar.com/ for $250. They make the bars that Granberg sells with their mills but it's much cheaper if you deal with them directly. They made my bar out of 1/4" steel so that it will have less flex but the trade off is that I have to use 404. I was going to have them make a thinner bar that I could use for .375 but they talked me out of it due to flex.

This is also the shop that I take my bars too when the grove gets worn - they make them like new for $10.

well the 066 piston is just showing some light scratches on the exhaust side. It felt like the compression was good when i started that last cut but it was gone when i ran it out of fuel. When I think back, a few months back the muffler rattled loose. I know it wasn't running lean. I'm thinking it was sawdust failure.

I'm gonna order a bb kit for it.

I'm gonna go over it completely before I use it again. Fuel lines, fuel filter, carb, etc...

well the 066 piston is just showing some light scratches on the exhaust side. It felt like the compression was good when i started that last cut but it was gone when i ran it out of fuel. When I think back, a few months back the muffler rattled loose. I know it wasn't running lean. I'm thinking it was sawdust failure.
That's too bad, but I know all too well that milling can be high maintenance. Good thing top ends are inexpensive.

I just had a 66" double end bar made at chain bar repairing http://www.chainbar.com/ for $250. They make the bars that Granberg sells with their mills but it's much cheaper if you deal with them directly. They made my bar out of 1/4" steel so that it will have less flex but the trade off is that I have to use 404. I was going to have them make a thinner bar that I could use for .375 but they talked me out of it due to flex.

This is also the shop that I take my bars too when the grove gets worn - they make them like new for $10.

I wish I was closer. I have plans on making out that way later this year. I might have to stop by their shop and pick up a bar. thanks

That's too bad, but I know all too well that milling can be high maintenance. Good thing top ends are inexpensive.

I kinda knew this was coming. I just didn't think it would be so soon. I'm gonna run a pressure test to make sure it's not the only problem. I might just order a meteor piston to have on hand for that jug, just in case I need it or come across another 066 with a bad cylinder.

Back