Milling and woodworking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
I see from caseys thread that he brought up a new planer. I assume that all of us that mill wood are also woodworkers. I think it would be great if people on this fourm brought up there woodworking idea's and project. Their exp. with new power tools or woodworking tools. I know this is a milling fourm but I enjoy power tools and woodworking just as much. Also I wouldn't have to flip back and forth between fourms.:clap:

I've had this in the back of my head for some time. Even thought about making a suggestion to the mods that they open a woodworking forum similar to this milling forum. AS could become a one stop source for info and discussion on wood from seed to finished project. Whacha think?

I am building a rustic cabin in the Adirondack wilderness with my csm. Out of nothing other than the forest itself. At home, to feed the force of addiction, I make rustic furniture out of wood I get off of jobs. In doing so people seek me out to offer my rare wood they might have felled or saw lying around. Tomorrow I am going to a field a friend of mine parks his truck at to haul away some cedars a tree guy felled in order to clear a lot.:clap:

aggiewoodbutchr said:
I've had this in the back of my head for some time. Even thought about making a suggestion to the mods that they open a woodworking forum similar to this milling forum. AS could become a one stop source for info and discussion on wood from seed to finished project. Whacha think?
Well I for one agree because where I am in life right now, woodworking is just an extension of milling. (or the other way around, take your pick). Some of the tools cross over... methods of milling at least partially depend on what you want the final boards to look like, which depends on what you will eventually do with that milled wood in the shop... woodworking.

There are many woodworking forums though... tons. I belong to one, but rarely post there if only because I only have so much time in front of this thing, and I enjoy AS a lot more than that woodworking forum, just seems friendlier. If there was a woodworking section on AS, I would probably spend a good deal of time there also. (advertisers and sponsors... take note:clap: )

Sounds good to me!!

I dont currently work with wood, but thats because of space limitations. No room to store the tools needed to be good at building things.

CaseyForrest said:
Sounds good to me!!

I dont currently work with wood, but thats because of space limitations. No room to store the tools needed to be good at building things.
casey my first shop was a 7x10 "room" at the end of a 60 ft trailer ... with a little ingenuity, which I can tell you have plenty of, you could do a lot with just a little space.

LOL>...you are right....problem is my wife and I are already doing allot with a little space!!!

After we filled the basement with junk, we got the garage squared away so she can park her Montana in there. Then I had to build an 8x8 shed to house all the crap that used to be in the garage, and Ive been constantly adding to the crap in the shed. PLenty of room in the yard to do just about anything, its getting everything secure at the end of the day that leaves me with no room!!

We are planning on selling and moving next year if the market turns itself around.

woodshop said:
Well I for one agree because where I am in life right now, woodworking is just an extension of milling. (or the other way around, take your pick). Some of the tools cross over... methods of milling at least partially depend on what you want the final boards to look like, which depends on what you will eventually do with that milled wood in the shop... woodworking.

There are many woodworking forums though... tons. I belong to one, but rarely post there if only because I only have so much time in front of this thing, and I enjoy AS a lot more than that woodworking forum, just seems friendlier. If there was a woodworking section on AS, I would probably spend a good deal of time there also. (advertisers and sponsors... take note:clap: )

I have read on a few woodworking forums also. Seems to me that arborists have more of what it takes to make it more fun. Not that I take you guys as jokers. But there are some real funny post on this site.

woodworking

CaseyForrest said:
Sounds good to me!!

Sure you work with wood casey. You milled it you sqaured it and you made a playhouse with it for your kids.

Like me Casey. That's my landscape trailer in the forground. My office is plastered on the left hand wall and my garden tools hang on the right. I store wood in the loft and my woorkshop is what you see in the pic. It gets tight when the chippies from the block drop by. I kind of know what you mean by taking a tool out to use it. If you think thats bad you see where I live. But I won't complain cause when I go upstate I have all the room I need and then some.

shop-5-19-06.jpg
shop-5-19-06.jpg

wood forums

I belong to a couple of other forums also. They are not that much fun that is for sure. With a milling woodworking forum we can all go from what we love about milling to the final project in woodworking. Weather its fine furnature, or a lean too. Its just neat to hear about what people do with the wood they mill.

I'm a member of several myself and, like others, spend the majority of my time here.

The first apartment I lived in while I was in college was a small, cheap, run-down 2 bedroom rat hole in a 4 plex. I did what woodworking I could in the parking lot and stored my stacks of lumber in the living room, most of which I had milled from small trees on a resaw in the student center woodshop. It's a good thing my roommate was my best friend and VERY paitent with me.:)

Last edited:
bookerdog said:
I see from caseys thread that he brought up a new planer. I assume that all of us that mill wood are also woodworkers. I think it would be great if people on this fourm brought up there woodworking idea's and project. Their exp. with new power tools or woodworking tools. I know this is a milling fourm but I enjoy power tools and woodworking just as much. Also I wouldn't have to flip back and forth between fourms.:clap:

Take a look at how the planer thread took off and the thread Trigger-Time posted on the rustic bench. I think theres a lot of us milling that would like to see/hear about how some of the wood is being used. I'm just getting started and have a few boards that have finally air dried enough to move to a controlled environment. Knowing the process to go from the mill to the finished product would be a welcomed addition to the milling topics.

Thanks for suggesting this bookerdog.

Woodworking

I agree with all of the above. The pure woodworking sites rarely even discuss the origin of the starting stock. I have built little from my milled wood yet, but the conversion process is neat.( Some boards will be dry enough this winter) This is a fun group to continue those discussions with.:blob2:

I've had my mill for a few years now, and have built a lot of my own furniture and am rebuilding my kitchen with timber I've felled and sawn myself. This is just one of the sites I visit, good info on trees and chainsaws. Other sites are more about sawmills, others more about woodworking without worrying about where the wood comes from.
I dont know of any site that really covers the whole process from planting trees to finishing the furniture, but it's a fascinating process :)

Cheers

Ian

I've also found good info at www.woodweb.com , but not as easily accessible. There's a lot of people here that are constantly talking back & forth, and constantly doing things. This is a tremendous resource here. I've learned a bit more in the short time I've known about this site than I knew about chainsaws than in all the years I've been around them. In short, I didnt know all that was possible. I also didnt expect so many loggers to be sawyers. I honestly had a different view before. Ihavent gotten to use any wood yet--I just got into the milling aspect this summer, but hopefully next year I'll be able to do something cool. We shall see. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back