Milling Chain..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
And yes, I have searched!! Just didnt get the answer I was looking for.

For those that use Stihl chain...do you use RS or RM? Is it absolutely neccessary to run 10 degrees? The guy at my saw shop says the only reason to go with less angle is it leaves a smoother surface after cutting. Im not worried about smoothness, I like the rough sawn look.

It seems to me that it stays sharper a little longer and cuts a little straighter, but that is just an opinion. It does cut faster and smoother. Jim

I have tried both normal cross-cut chain and 10 degree ripping chain and, contrary to what is normally said, I couldn't see a big difference when it comes to speed. That was in soft wood.

i use the rs chain. i wore out my original rm granberg chain. rm supposed to have less drag. i couldnt really tell any difference. i started out at 5* and have increased to 15*. angle can be adjusted to match drag to horsepower. more angle requires more hp. im using an 066 42" bar, 36" mill, 3/8 .063 full chisel round filed combo. the semi chisel chain (rm) dosent leave the chain slash marks as much as the full (rs). i can only cut bout 20 linear ft in 50% moisture on red oak between chain sharpenings. chain still cuts but slows to half speed. ripping big stuff is hard on man and machine! :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Did you try searching for "ripping chain"? That is a more correct term, and likely what most of the discussion is under.

Buy the Stihl RS SQUARE ground Full Skip chain - it's already 10 degrees and works real well as a rip chain. When you sharpen it to round, there a lot less work to do as it's already pretty much there. At the first sharpen, modify it buy removing a few pairs (like every 5th cutter) of top plates leaving just the vertical side of the cutters.

Let me try it this way. Am I going to have problems with my 460 Mag, 28" bar and RS full skip chain? I am limited to the size logs I can get because my trailer is only 5x10. The mill I have is a GB 36" mill. I havent measured what the full width of the mill is with the 28" bar in it, somewhere close to 24" or 25". I will almost never be using the full width of the mill, and will use my 20" bar whenever possible.

Wanted to know which chain is going to handle milling better, the RS or RM.

CaseyForrest said:
Wanted to know which chain is going to handle milling better, the RS or RM.

RS will cut faster, but with a slightly rougher finish to the boards. RM will be slower, but the finish on the boards will be smoother.

Latest posts

Back