Milling Honey Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday I was able to get out and do some milling with the nice weather. I had a few honey locust logs delivered to the front yard by the local tree company. I used my new aux oiler for the first time. It is a 14" piece of ABS, capped on one end, and a clean out on the other. In the end of the cleanout, I drilled a hole, and put in a tire stem valve so that I can pressurize the oil tank. Then I have a ball valve to control the flow. Worked real nice, but the clean out tends to leak air, even with teflon tape. But holds long enough to make one cut. I still am using my 066, but the 084 is back from Dean, and it'll be used shortly for milling once I get a few tanks of gas through to break in the new cylinder/piston. The honey locust slabs look real nice. The piece i just cut up, was a crotch that had five leaders coming from the same place, so it left some real nice grain, and a unique shape. I have two nice 3 1/2" slabs that I got that will look beautiful bookmarked and made into a table top. As required, here are some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Posting pics in the message body

Just curious, Can anyone tell me how to post pics in the message body?

Ok- got it. Thanks

Last edited:
Looking good.

To include the pictures, upload them as you have been then click on the link that comes up in the attachment manager. Copy the link in the address bar and paste into your post surrounded by...

[ i m g ] link [ / i m g ] (without the spaces)

attachment.php

It would also help to resize them to about 640 x 480.

How does the 084 run?

Nice.

Ya, you need to upload onto a url first. I use photobucket. Once you get the pic onto photobucket right click on the pic. left click on properties. Right click on location and select all. Copy. And then click reply on AS. Then click on the graphic that looks like a mountain on top of your message body. Right click in the box and paste. It's takes a few tries to tweak it but you'll get it sooner or later.

Looking good.

To include the pictures, upload them as you have been then click on the link that comes up in the attachment manager. Copy the link in the address bar and paste into your post surrounded by...

[ i m g ] link [ / i m g ] (without the spaces)

attachment.php

It would also help to resize them to about 640 x 480.

How does the 084 run?

I'll have to try that way myself.

Thanks guys, much appreciated...
I've only started the 084 so far. I don't have much wood for just cutting lying around the house. I'm going to my camp this weekend, so hopefully, weather permitting, I'll get a few tanks through the saw. Hopefully, I'll have a better answer on monday.

[IM]http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php[/IMG]

Nice pics Here is some maple. Let me know if this show's up. I have been wondering how to do the pic thing for awhile also.

Last edited:
That tree sawed up into about 450 bdft of nice clear 1x4 and 1x6. As soon as it's dry I'm gonna mill it up into flooring for the living room:hmm3grin2orange:

Very Nice. Is that coming from your own property? Are you removing for someone else, or was it just a gimme.

Gimmees are the best! I have yet to have to pay a dime for any of my logs.

Juice- Just curious, do you catch any flack from your neighbors when milling?

Aggie,
I don't mill very much in my yard. I only did these here because I was offered these logs delivered while the tree service was doing another job on my street. I still only do a few cuts at a time. I try not to have the saw running to long at any given time. So far, the only thing i've heard is what are you doing? What are you gonna use this for? But, like I said, only maybe two-three cuts in a day.
Brian

Last edited:
Aggie,
I don't mill very much in my yard. I only did these here because I was offered these logs delivered while the tree service was doing another job on my street. I still only do a few cuts at a time. I try not to have the saw running to long at any given time. So far, the only thing i've heard is what are you doing? What are you gonna use this for? But, like I said, only maybe two-three cuts in a day.
Brian

It's funny, milling with a chainsew seems to attract an audience no matter where you are. I live pretty much in the sticks but I still get neighbors, delivery drivers, etc. asking what I'm doing with all those logs.

Latest posts

Back