Milling large pecan log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71cowboys

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need help with this large pecan log
Log is about 34" thick at the base
I have milled slabs from 30" logs before using an alaskan 36" mill and 394xp
Any recommendations on how to best mill this log
Thanks

Nice score on that log! If it were mine, I would mill it crosswise through the fork, even if you have to trim the branches back a bit for the saw to fit. That will give you some outstanding grain. The trick will be getting that first flat slab milled. Take your time. It will be worth it.

Nice score on that log! If it were mine, I would mill it crosswise through the fork, even if you have to trim the branches back a bit for the saw to fit. That will give you some outstanding grain. The trick will be getting that first flat slab milled. Take your time. It will be worth it.

So split it between the forks like quartersawing it. And then slab the 2 pieces?
Logs were given to me, the other logs I have cut from this tree have some nice spalting in them as well.
Thanks for the advice

nice find.i love me some pecan!question on the table,first ;looks great!nice color even spalting.second; built with freshly milled wood?

The table top came from same load of wood, milled it about 2 mos ago. Wood was fairly dry , I am not sure of the moisture content as I dont have a meter. Log base was from some 2 year old logs we going to split for firewood.
Thanks

So split it between the forks like quartersawing it. And then slab the 2 pieces?
Logs were given to me, the other logs I have cut from this tree have some nice spalting in them as well.
Thanks for the advice

If you have a bar long enough to slab it as a single piece, that would be my first choice. If you don't have a bar long enough to do that, you could split it between the forks and slab the two pieces. A lot depends on what you plan to do with it. If it were mine, I would cut the branches back to where I could get the saw blade all the way through the piece, then slab it. Lots of options for a piece like that!

Last edited:
If it were me....

I'd get her laying on the ground so those arms are stretched out to each side and cut her that way. It'll add more character to the piece then if you were to go between them!

Scott (that's just my thinking) B

Latest posts

Back