Milling pecans...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally got to make a cut this evening. This is one half of the log split by an excavator.

attachment.php

Cut's finished. The blue oil bottle is on there for weight in case you were wondering.

attachment.php

attachment.php

36" wide at the narrowest point.

attachment.php

Just a little figure.

attachment.php

I'll probably take two 2 1/2" - 3" slabs off it and quarter the remaining cant to finish on the bandmill.

More to come....

Way to go looks great to me:cheers:
Aggie you suggested that I try one of the Lennox blades on my grizzly bandsaw well I finaly got one and put it on and realy love it so far cuts fast and the curf is smaller to boot:jawdrop: Thanks for the info.

Oh Yeah Bay . . . bee . . . . ! :clap: :clap:

Keep churning out those pics.

Way too hot to mill here. I have resigned myself to giving it a rest for a month or two over the height of summer.

Cheers

Way to go looks great to me:cheers:
Aggie you suggested that I try one of the Lennox blades on my grizzly bandsaw well I finaly got one and put it on and realy love it so far cuts fast and the curf is smaller to boot:jawdrop: Thanks for the info.

Glad to hear it. I'm still using the same one I put on over 7 months ago.

Awesome

Looks like it won't dissappoint nice grain. Is that a off the shelf Gb mill I remember seeing some mods you did (to the clamps on tips) but I cant remember if you built it from scratch or started with a Gb and modded it to do what you needed?? Thanks for the pics!!

aggiewoodbutchr,
Congrats on openning her up.
Sure looks good up there, been light rain drizzly all day down here. Do you have enough solid ground to pick up the slabs after you cut them with some kind of loader?
Should be the first of many.
Rich S.

Looks like it won't dissappoint nice grain. Is that a off the shelf Gb mill I remember seeing some mods you did (to the clamps on tips) but I cant remember if you built it from scratch or started with a Gb and modded it to do what you needed?? Thanks for the pics!!

I started with a GB. The only major mod I've done to it is the tip clamp. I've done a few other things like changing all the 6mm bolts out for 1/4", smooth sliding surfaces out, etc.

aggiewoodbutchr,
Congrats on openning her up.
Sure looks good up there, been light rain drizzly all day down here. Do you have enough solid ground to pick up the slabs after you cut them with some kind of loader?
Should be the first of many.
Rich S.

The camera must have made it look better than it was. It drizzled all day here too. For now I'll just be sliding the slabs off by hand until we get our bobcat (with tracks on) back over here.

Slabs!

The weather gave me a little break today and I had to get out side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This log had some nice tight curly grain full length both sides. I can't wait to see it with oil and varnish on it.

attachment.php

Droooo . o . o . o . o . o. lllll.
(Excuse me while I wipe my chin)

Aggie, it looks like you are using the blue weight on a regular basis - is that right?

Carry on!

Yes, or something similar. It prevents the outboard end from rising off the rails, especially when I'm using the long bars by myself.

Yes, or something similar. It prevents the outboard end from rising off the rails, especially when I'm using the long bars by myself.

It seems like a relatively small distance, but I reckoned that removing the chain brake and having the 076 power head as close to the rails as possible has definitely helped balance the BIL mill a little better in this regard. There is just enough of a gap between the powerhead and the mill for me to sneak the chain out without having to take the power off the mill.

Back at it....

Had a pretty good day today. Weather cooperated finally but it's still soggy.

Finished this one I started the other day.

attachment.php

AS member Narwhale stopped by and lent a hand as well as took some pictures (finally got some good action photos- thanks :cheers:).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My brother and his wife came over and played too. I believe we'll have us a few more addicts before too long (and more cheap labor:)).

Here's the money shots!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can get more slab off the cant before it goes into pile to be ripped and milled into 4/4". Hopefully tomorrow...

Back