Milling silver and red maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juicemang

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics from a silver maple log I slabbed. When grading for a new tee at the golf course about 4 feet of the trunk was buried. The tree had a slow death which gave it some nice grain.
attachment.php

attachment.php

These slabs came from a red maple that split about 15' off the ground. This log was from just under the split. I did'nt mill the 2 halves of the split yet but judging from this log they should be nice also.
attachment.php

I have been milling by myself for the past few weeks so I didn't get many pictures. I finished about 8 silver maple logs, from 18 to 26" dia. Now its on to some big stuff.

32" white oak
attachment.php

40" poplar
attachment.php

I will get someone from the shop to take some pics and give me a hand with the poplar. The oak is at my house so my brother will be around to help. I should be able to get some action shots soon.

Nice looking pics Juicemang. Im looking forward to seeing the milling shots of the rest of those logs. Looks like you will have a few nice crotch pieces in the mix.

nice slabs

I see you've got the granberg mill. I 've been using that too. I'm trying to decide if I should stick with using the ladder for the first cut or if I should buy the granberg slabbing rails or make my own.

What are you using for the first cut?

I was using a frame a made out of 2 by 4s until it warped. Now I'm using one made out of square steel tube. Its heavy but all I have to do is cut 2 notches in the top of the log and its own wait will hold it down. I'll put up some pics of it.

Back