Milling Table, Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice innovation trigger... I am salivating over that redcedar. Pretty stuff, lots of character in cedar, always something different with the white and red patterns in a board depending on how you slice it. I sell a lot of small items made from it, and it's the one tree I have a hard time finding wood to mill. I take it there is a lot of redcedar out where you are? We have it here, but not like oak/maple/cherry. There is more of it down in the MD/VA area.

woodshop said:
Nice innovation trigger... I am salivating over that redcedar. Pretty stuff, lots of character in cedar, always something different with the white and red patterns in a board depending on how you slice it. I sell a lot of small items made from it, and it's the one tree I have a hard time finding wood to mill. I take it there is a lot of redcedar out where you are? We have it here, but not like oak/maple/cherry. There is more of it down in the MD/VA area.

Thanks, Guys

"I take it there is a lot of redcedar out where you are?" It's taking over
in these parts (no joke) I have a old Cat D4, used it on about 60 acres
of these darn ceders. I have about 20 acres, that I left standing.
It's trying to take over the hardwoods, but the best ceders are in the woods, they don't get enough light for a bunch of limbs, so they grow taller, straighter and very few limbs. I'm learning on the junk ceders, the small
ones and the tops I will cut up as ceder cord wood, can sell it for
$90 a cord.

One more pic, this is a small cant that I free handed. I'm going to
buy a beam machine or something on that order.

Last edited:
My sister said she wanted me to make her a bench or two, for
outside use. I took some ceder I milled yesterday, less than
30 min with chain saw, horse shoeing rasp and drill, and I have
a heavy rough bench. If this works out, I will make a few of these
and try to sell'em for $25 or $30 a piece.

I like the bench

Like you said 25-30 bucks.
But if you were to omit the diagonal braces and throw a 2x6 mortised into the legs and plunged through to use a tapered pin.
In otherwords., mortise out a hole in each leg 1inch by five inches, and make a tenon on the ends of the brace 1x5 that would give you a half inch all the way around to draw against and a tapered pin it would be heck for stout.Plus I would think throw this bench into the 50-60 dollar range, a little more work. But to me detail sells the product.Just my two coppers

birleyfold said:
Brilliant. I have been thinking about making a milling setup. Shame your not in the UK.

birleyfold, Like I have said before, allot of this thing came from ideas
on this site. I think the strut idea came from CaseyForrest
The floor joist, not sure but it was this site. You get to reading all of
the post and you will find allot of good info, some will work for your
type of milling and some won't. Info like what ericjeeper posted
about the bench, I will try that.

And here is a few more pics of some Post Oak that I milled today.
I used a old corn knife, to take the bark off, plan on making a bench
with and leave the natural edges. I was taking the bark off with the
boards laying flat, thought it would be better on there edge, it was allot better, I could stand up, it took less than 2 min per edge after I got the
hang of it. A draw knife is on my list!

Good thread,Gary. I'm the one who uses BCI joists in my mill, see "my CSM" (dont know how to link to a thread), its in here somewhere. I could update it with changes I've made, if anyone is interested.
Ply and BCI joists make the rail/CSM concept much more affordable. I paid $76 for two 26' joists (I think you can get them about any length you want), built the carridge with scrap steel. I can slab up to 22'x24" logs in it, spent >$200 to build it. That would'nt go far at the steel shop these days.
Russell

Regarding the MKIII

Trigger-time,

So, you logged some time on hard and soft woods, what wood you say to someone considering buying one?

Pro's and con's.

What improvements would you make, or make one yourself ?

poleframer said:
Good thread,Gary. I'm the one who uses BCI joists in my mill, see "my CSM" (dont know how to link to a thread), its in here somewhere. I could update it with changes I've made, if anyone is interested.
Ply and BCI joists make the rail/CSM concept much more affordable. I paid $76 for two 26' joists (I think you can get them about any length you want), built the carridge with scrap steel. I can slab up to 22'x24" logs in it, spent >$200 to build it. That would'nt go far at the steel shop these days.
Russell

Hey, poleframer I think this is the thread you where talking about.
I did'nt rember where I had seen the BCI joist used, It was your thread. :D

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33784

wdchuck said:
Trigger-time,

So, you logged some time on hard and soft woods, what wood you say to someone considering buying one?

Pro's and con's.

What improvements would you make, or make one yourself ?

wdchuck, I have milled very little, the MK III is the only mill that I
have every used or, seen in person. But what little I have used it
I have not had any problems with it. There is always room for improvement.
I know that I have dodged your question, I think there is better
qualified people on AS to answer your question. I guess I need more
milling time to have a better opinion.

Nice rig!!!

any chance you could post plans with dimensions?

046 said:
Nice rig!!!

any chance you could post plans with dimensions?

I don't have any plans, just kind of make it up as I go. Like
all of the plywood on this thing was from a pickup load of
scrap I bought for $5.00 a few years ago. If you tell me
what info you want and any pics I will do what I can.
Just PM me.

Latest posts

Back