Mini bar sprocket grease guns ... a good one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the better question what to use to grease the needle bearing?

I use the Oregon (disposable?) one pictured already. Sometimes I am successful at re-filling them, sometimes I am not and I start over with another one.

It did kind of bum me out that my otherwise excellent saw shop quit selling those for a while and only stocked the Lazer version (china, boo). Who would trust the workings, and especially the grease, in those? I actualy had to go in the Big Box store and look at the chainsaw 'stuff' in there to find the good ole Oregon, and that experience kinda sucked. I think enough people commented on it that my shop finally brought back the Oregon version, since they sell 999 other Oregon part #s anyway. And yeah I kinda figure I might suspect where the Oregon one might could be manufactured too, but I sleep better at night this way.

i dont grease them i just let the bar oil take care of it. as long as you keep your bar chanel clear and the oil hole open enough oil goes through the tip for it to get lubricated

Well, for those who read my initial post, I didn't intend for this to turn into yet another "grease or not the bar sprocket" debate, but it ultimately turned into one. Go figure. I'm guessing virtually everyone on this forum is a "show me" type of guy (or gal), so you're going to continue to do what you do until it doesn't work. Don't argue with success. I'm good with that. Let's leave it there.

Again, since I'm a grease-the-sprocket guy, I bought the Dualco mini grease gun (what they officially call the no. 700231 push type utility grease gun) for roughly $19 U.S. at Amazon. As pointed out to me, I could have paid less for a knock-off, but I'm glad I went the way I did.

This one is manufacturing quite nicely - and made in the U.S. The others are made in ... well, I don't know ... but I'm guessing in neither the U.S. nor Canada. It comes with directions - in English (not a bunch of pictograms) - although I highly doubt anyone here would need them. It also has an assembly schematic with a parts list. So yeah, if you ever use it enough to need a replacement part, you can get one. They also detail the auxiliary attachments you can get ( not needed for bar greasing, but maybe if you have other uses in mind).

So, in a nutshell, Dualco treats this like a tool, rather than a throw-away gadget. Their tag line is "100% Recyclable % Repairable". Still easier and cheaper to buy the cheap one and replace as needed? Probably. But in this world where we simply discard and replace so much at the first hint of trouble, I find Dualco's position refreshing. It gives me that old-school feeling.

Well, for those who read my initial post, I didn't intend for this to turn into yet another "grease or not the bar sprocket" debate, but it ultimately turned into one. Go figure. I'm guessing virtually everyone on this forum is a "show me" type of guy (or gal), so you're going to continue to do what you do until it doesn't work. Don't argue with success. I'm good with that. Let's leave it there.

Again, since I'm a grease-the-sprocket guy, I bought the Dualco mini grease gun (what they officially call the no. 700231 push type utility grease gun) for roughly $19 U.S. at Amazon. As pointed out to me, I could have paid less for a knock-off, but I'm glad I went the way I did.

This one is manufacturing quite nicely - and made in the U.S. The others are made in ... well, I don't know ... but I'm guessing in neither the U.S. nor Canada. It comes with directions - in English (not a bunch of pictograms) - although I highly doubt anyone here would need them. It also has an assembly schematic with a parts list. So yeah, if you ever use it enough to need a replacement part, you can get one. They also detail the auxiliary attachments you can get ( not needed for bar greasing, but maybe if you have other uses in mind).

So, in a nutshell, Dualco treats this like a tool, rather than a throw-away gadget. Their tag line is "100% Recyclable % Repairable". Still easier and cheaper to buy the cheap one and replace as needed? Probably. But in this world where we simply discard and replace so much at the first hint of trouble, I find Dualco's position refreshing. It gives me that old-school feeling.
Those are good grease guns. They got me two of them at work for greasing bearings in textile machines. Like I said before, I drilled and tapped the head for a grease fitting, I've used the same one at work for over ten years. I have 17 machines that I grease multiple bearings on. Never had a problem with it. I finally brought the other one home to use and discovered it works great greasing bars.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Good job on buying a quality tool. I think less bars are coming with grease ports is the same reason no one has them on their cars anymore , people are terrible at maintenance.
I've nursed a sloppy ball joint or ujoint on a 60s-70s automobile with grease until I had the replacement but not on today's cars , you just replace everything until you eat a new payment for another car.
Engineers think they are the universe's answer to humans problems, and with sales of anything that can wear out it dosen't take a genius to figure it out.
Oil does a great job of keeping the sprocket rolling but most people can't be bothered to clean the bar rails after cutting .... grease cant hurt.
I refill my old Oregon by hand and stick a straw in it allowing the grease to fill the space completely.

Latest posts

Back