mini barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know of any actual logger that would use them. With a traditional back cut you can ease into them. When you here the crunching and see the tree move you get the heck out of there . And if you get a scary one you put your saw down and grab a splitting maul ( blunt end) and finish it with your wedges then you can hear the tree and it's easier to get away.

This entire post is crap, just pure crap. You shouldn't be advising anybody on falling techniques. Your lack of experience is evident every time you post. We don't hold your lack of experience against you but when you make statements like this you can endanger somebody who doesn't know enough about falling and thinks you know what you're talking about. You don't. Not even close.

Loggers, east and west, both use bore cuts when necessary. They're one more tool that they know how to apply to better deal with a problem tree. I've used them, almost every faller I know...and I know a lot of them...will bore cut when it's called for. It's not a cut we use often out here but it does get used.
I don't cut as much hardwood as the guys back east but I cut my share. On leaning hardwood, depending again on the circumstances, I prefer the bore cut to the triangle Coos. On soft wood I use the Coos...usually. I can also Coos hardwood and bore softwood...the tree gets the cutting style that will do the best job.

I don't expect that you'll change your cutting habits. That's your choice. But you really need to S T F U when the discussions on falling start here. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Pfffttt... Farmer cut my ass...

View attachment 334293

Okay, you're right. We've been insensitive and mean. We shouldn't be calling that the Farmer Cut. It's insulting to farmers.

But...now you have to come up with a good name for it. Slopping back cut is already in use...unless HBRN is here under a new username.

Alright. I deleted about 40 posts in this thread. Some were due to bad advice, a lot because they didn't make sense after the bad advice was removed, and a couple just because they didn't serve any purpose but to call someone else names. To those that were just trying to help and got deleted, I apologize, but it takes time to do this mod stuff, and much more time that I don't have right now to edit posts so they make sense than it does to simply select em for deletion.

The thread has been re opened, but if I see more advice that's liable to get someone hurt or killed, I'll have to come back and take care of it. Please think before posting, and if you don't know that you're giving sound advice, keep your advice to yourself.

If you (066Blaster in particular) want to argue that your methods are better than those who do this for a living every day, take it to the Logging section so all of em can tear into you instead of just the few that take the time to check in on the Firewood section.

Alright. I deleted about 40 posts in this thread. Some were due to bad advice, a lot because they didn't make sense after the bad advice was removed, and a couple just because they didn't serve any purpose but to call someone else names. To those that were just trying to help and got deleted, I apologize, but it takes time to do this mod stuff, and much more time that I don't have right now to edit posts so they make sense than it does to simply select em for deletion.

The thread has been re opened, but if I see more advice that's liable to get someone hurt or killed, I'll have to come back and take care of it. Please think before posting, and if you don't know that you're giving sound advice, keep your advice to yourself.

:cool:

If you (066Blaster in particular) want to argue that your methods are better than those who do this for a living every day, take it to the Logging section so all of em can tear into you instead of just the few that take the time to check in on the Firewood section.

Thanks, I think. :rolleyes:

If people want to ask questions in Forestry and Logging I think they'll get fair consideration. If they need information I think we have an obligation to help them if we can.
They might not like the answers they get but the answers will be honest, straightforward, and based on actual real world experience.
Most of us who make our living in the woods have seen people badly injured and some of us have seen friends die. Most of us have also made enough mistakes ourselves to recognize that lack of experience and knowledge combined with a "the tree hit the ground and nobody got hurt" attitude is deadly.
We don't have a lot of patience with people who ask our opinion and then argue with it. Nor should we be required to.
So, if members want to ask questions I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe we can help somebody avoid getting hurt...or worse.
But fair warning...posers, ankle biters, and people who argue just to cover up their own inexperience won't like the F&L section. Not at all.

Thanks, I think. :rolleyes:

If people want to ask questions in Forestry and Logging I think they'll get fair consideration. If they need information I think we have an obligation to help them if we can.
They might not like the answers they get but the answers will be honest, straightforward, and based on actual real world experience.
Most of us who make our living in the woods have seen people badly injured and some of us have seen friends die. Most of us have also made enough mistakes ourselves to recognize that lack of experience and knowledge combined with a "the tree hit the ground and nobody got hurt" attitude is deadly.
We don't have a lot of patience with people who ask our opinion and then argue with it. Nor should we be required to.
So, if members want to ask questions I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe we can help somebody avoid getting hurt...or worse.
But fair warning...posers, ankle biters, and people who argue just to cover up their own inexperience won't like the F&L section. Not at all.
I don't know......I like it just fine over there

I like the ones that already have their mind made up but still ask for advice and then get pissed off when nobody agrees with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. They don't want advice, they want you to validate what they've already decided to do. When you refuse to do that...in their own best interest...they get upset. Those kind are just looking for an arguement. Scroom.

Is there a general consensus among the experienced pros here with regards to strapping or chaining heavily leaning stems? Just curious.

I guess you will have to come help me remove some of the nearly horizontal sycamores after the spring floods. I'm sure not boring some of them would result in a chair.

I'm not going to disagree, I do know they do not like to split. I've probably been lucky, never had a chair and haven't tried the bore cut yet. The few leaners that I have cut I bored the back cut and then slant cut the tie with long arms and one foot out the door

Is there a general consensus among the experienced pros here with regards to strapping or chaining heavily leaning stems? Just curious.
honestly, I think it gives a false sense of security. that is my opinion, as well there are trees that inexpeirianced folks just shouldn't try.

I will strap a tree if its split or has the potential to split while I am removing it. I will also use a bore cut when it is appropriate. One way to reduce the barber chair effect is to reduce the top weight of the tree. Blowing out the top of the tree is no big deal when you have a wide open drop zone. Once that end weight is reduced you greatly reduce the chance of the tree splitting.

Back