Mini-skid log retrieval ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Lucked into a bunch of downed trees just up the road from me , the problem is there land-locked with only a small 4'-5' access path to get them out. It also has a decent grade down to where the trees lay , not bad .. just too steep to push a wheelbarrow up.

My question is will a small walk-behind skid-steer efficiently move some wood? I had thought about cutting the logs into 48" lengths and packing up to to flat ground where they can bucked and split.

It's ether this or leave a bunch of good wood to rot.

Jeff

You mean like one of those Bobcat mini-track loaders? I dont see why it wouldn't work... if you had a grapple bucket on the front you could pick the logs up and haul them out with it.. it seems to me it would be alot easier on the back :) I use my Bobcat S160 with a grapple to move my rounds out of the woods... it also does a great job at clearing the brush around the intended victim (tree) to make the area safer to fall the tree.

Seems like it could be a lot of trips carrying 4'-0" at a time... I agree with the suggestion of finding a log arch. That way you can bring it out it longer lengths and then load or cut to size....

Back