Minimum diameter of a limb.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeBarber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this site but have been lurking around for a long time. Lots of good info here. I am very much an amateur tree climber/arborist. I climb the trees around my property to trim them and occasionally I do some tree removal and trims for other people.
My question is what would you consider the minimum diameter of a limb that your rope would go over for a SRT access. 90% of the trees I climb are conifers, fir, cedar, hemlock, and spruce. These trees normally don’t have natural crotches. I personally have set a 'not less than three inch limit'. Any input and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Pat.

Your 3 inch minimum should be pretty safe on live limbs close to the branch union. Of course with SRT you can encompass more than a single limb to give some back up. The old rule is wrist sized or greater for DdRT.-Much depends upon species-I'm satisfied with a nice 2inch branch with a good union on a Live Oak but want 4inches or more on a Cottonwood or Chinaberry. Conifers vary also-Doug fir and Ponderosa pine are pretty tough. Larch are more brittle.

Hemlock and true Cedrus (Atlas, Deodora) to my experience seem especially prone to snapping if your rope is not well placed in the branch union. If my throw is a bit out on the limb from that perfect spot, I use the "rake-handle-rope-flip-trick" until I get the rope in tight to the branch union.

And remember, if you're climbing SRT with your rope over the limb and back down to a tie off, you are giving that limb 2:1 ratio of your body weight.

Then I bounce test my rope and crotch mercilessly a few feet off the ground and then climb as smoothly as possible.

I have fairly skinny wrists, so I rate my limbs against a beefier personal appendage.

With all that done, I feel secure about my access. It's limbwalks on a Hemi that freak me out. Hemlocks around here seem to grow only enough limb strength to support their own foliage and perhaps a Robin's nest and that's about it.

Gentle redirects and a polesaw for limb reduction are the story there. I'm told it's the salt air that makes Hemis that way, inland they purportedly grow stronger.

RedlineIt

Back