Minimum safety equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What are the absolutely essential pieces of safety equipment necessary for homeowner sawing?

I get by just fine with earmuffs, glasses and gloves, but all I have right now is a 14" electric Wen (which never kicks back). I suspect a gas chainsaw will be more of a handfull, and I don't fancy being injured. On the other hand, I don't want to spend 30 minutes covering my entire body with hundreds of $$$ worth of safety equipment when I only saw for about an hour at a time, once a week.

NovaMan said:
What are the absolutely essential pieces of safety equipment necessary for homeowner sawing?

I get by just fine with earmuffs, glasses and gloves, but all I have right now is a 14" electric Wen (which never kicks back). I suspect a gas chainsaw will be more of a handfull, and I don't fancy being injured. On the other hand, I don't want to spend 30 minutes covering my entire body with hundreds of $$$ worth of safety equipment when I only saw for about an hour at a time, once a week.

What you have plus chaps. If you start cutting down trees, even small trees, get a helmet.

One hour? it only take 1/10 second to cut a major artery.

And be mindful that most chaps are not rated for electic saws. But like Andy said, get a helmet. All it takes it one slip of concentration or attention, and you're cut open. You don't need to wear a suit of armor, but get the proper PPE and don't cut corners.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
And be mindful that most chaps are not rated for electic saws. But like Andy said, get a helmet. All it takes it one slip of concentration or attention, and you're cut open. You don't need to wear a suit of armor, but get the proper PPE and don't cut corners.

Jeff

Yes, good point on the 'not rated for electric saws" - too much torque, at least on the Stihl E20 I have, but they will provide some protection, and if you are concerned about the price, your jeans will last a heck of a lot longer!

Hundreds of $$$?s?

Can't you get some pants/chaps and a helmet w/ ear protection for < $125? I believe that total will be less than the medical bills you will incur if something should happen...

There are places to cut corners, but this is not one

Like the others said, chaps and gloves and eye protection and ear protection are a good start. A helmet is also a good idea, especially if you're felling things and even if those things are really little, since it's on the little stuff where the helmet will actually save your behind. I'm not a pro and I rarely get paid for sawing, but I don't see this as allowing any lesser standard of protection.

I can say from experience that neither denim nor corduroy does much to stop chainsaws, and I highly doubt that "heavy duty" or "double layer" trousers would afford any greater level of protection. Luckily my injuries were no more than a few minor nicks on my legs and a couple destroyed pairs of pants, but it could have been SO much worse. Though it took two screwups, I've learned my lesson - don't be a fool and have to learn the same lesson yourself.

So put up a couple dollars and buy the things so you can be safe and stay in one piece. You'll be glad you did.

Protective trousers Chaps will be fine but make sure there type C. Get a helmate with steel mesh visor and ear defenders. Chainsaw gloves if you want to be protected agaist vibration. Personly i like chainsaw boots its one of the places your most likely to get cut. It takes a while to get geared up but it takes seconds to loose a limb or cause a fatal wound.

And, of course........

......the most valuable piece of safety equipment is you.

this is one endeavor where you DO NOT want to learn by your mistakes.....

felling trees is something best learned from someone who knows how to do it.

i speak from experience.........

I recently purchased the Stihl safety helmet with hearing protection and the steel screen face shield. The whole integrated unit was $39....small price for the protection it offers. I still have not decided which way to go on the leg protection yet...pants or chaps? I guess there are pros and cons to both.

Tom

v8titan said:
I recently purchased the Stihl safety helmet with hearing protection and the steel screen face shield. The whole integrated unit was $39....small price for the protection it offers. I still have not decided which way to go on the leg protection yet...pants or chaps? I guess there are pros and cons to both.

Tom
I just got the Red version of the helmet/muffs/screen (40 USD) and LOVE IT! Hain't "used" the hat part, but the screen has kept a lot of stuff off my face and the muffs are much quicker than earplugs. I just hate when I spit on screen.

Chaps are next.

helmet, helmet, helmet....unless you are riding a dirtbike its called a hardhat. Hardhat with a screen and muffs, helmet must be some arborist term. God, those people I see in pictures wearing a helmet and wearing goggles look like dorks. Like Wade got, called hardhat.

I think u need the helmet (lol, ok HARDHAT), chaps, ear protection and gloves, but the main piece of protective gear is your brain, if it works the rest of your stuff will last forever

I never use my saw without wearing my chaps, Steel toecapped boots and hardhat and earmuffs, I don't have a face shield at the moment but I do wear impact resistant sunglasses to protect my eyes from any wood chips and dust and most of all I have a leather hand mitt tied to the half wrap handle on my saw (makes you keep your left hand on the saw while in use it is also law over here to have a mitt attached to the saw in the workplace aswell as wearing appropriate PPE)

Good point on the Steel-toe boots. I've changed over to these, but not expensive logging boots - Police issue RG - about $30 a pair... Wonder why everyone in the woods look nervous, and at my boots...

Latest posts

Back