Minnesota Storm Cleanup Volunteers - Sunday 6/20/10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Minnesota was hit by a number of tornados yesterday, with the area around Wadena (West Central part of the state - midway between Lake Mille Lacs and Fargo, ND) taking the biggest hit.

A volunteer group I work with is tentatively planning to go up this Sunday June 20, to do some storm cleanup, pending approval from the local Emergency Manager (much of the area is still cordoned off to outsiders). Final details will not be known until Saturday evening around 7PM, but if you are interested in participating, respond to this thread or send me a PM and I will let you know if we are going and any details. Sorry for the limited notice.

The work is typically cutting up downed trees and branches and dragging them to the curb. If trees are still standing, or too technical, we leave it for the pros. Also could be some basic picking up debris type work.

Philbert

Let me know at [email protected]

Lots of experience with natural disasters (Red River flood of 1997, and more), and I know that part of the state. Longtime arborist. Have chainsaws, will travel. Won't climb anymore.

Last edited:
Man would I love to help out. My Dad and I did exactly this when a tornado came through Cincinnati here a few years ago. Very rewarding work.

It's important to give back. When we went through the flood, people from all over the U.S. came to help. Nothing I've ever seen compared with that selflessness. It was a lesson to us all. My turn to help someone else.

I am on the working end! (stay away from Minn. in the winter!!! I learned that the hard way!!!!)

Waiting for a call now!

This might be the 3rd tornado work for the year!

It is horrible to see some of the things!!!!!!
Gives me a new sense of what I really have when I get home!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no bad weather, only bad clothing. :givebeer:

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

And snow shoes, and thermals(X10 pairs), and face covering and- heck just avoid Minn. in the winter! LOL!!!!

I am sure I will be back! (but with REAL winter clothes!!!!!)

I am on the working end! (stay away from Minn. in the winter!!! I learned that the hard way!!!!)

Waiting for a call now!

This might be the 3rd tornado work for the year!

It is horrible to see some of the things!!!!!!
Gives me a new sense of what I really have when I get home!

Amen my friend. We had one come through just north of me a few weeks ago. It's a scary sight for sure to see.

Wish I was closer, my family and I would be more than glad to help out.

I will be at home for this one!
The out of town thing is getting old, now that I have a little one at home and all! But it is always a sight to see! Mostly a sad sight of the damage, but a reassuring sight to see all the other people actually showing humanity!!!!!!!!!

I have always gone into that type of work through my job, not as a volunteer,
so I may be a hypocrite in this thread!:(

It would give me a good reason to take a road trip and use my new Dolmar, but alas I can't be leaving work.

I feel for my MN brethren. Much mojo.

Good on you all for helping!

Keep me posted. I have some conflicts tomorrow, but I'll see what I can do to beg out of them or reschedule.

Usually made a pit stop in Wadena when I used to go to the Ex-Gf's cabin up north of Detroit Lakes. Very nice town.

Philbert,where are you?I sent you a PM awhile ago saying I would be able to help out but have not heard back from you.Do you have any info on if its a go or not for tomorrow?I might have to start drinking shortly if I don't hear from you:givebeer:

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have been waiting for an official reply from the City Emergency Manager - they are having multiple meetings to coordinate volunteers, etc.

Right now, the general volunteer plan is to meet at 'the old Pamida' on Hwy 71, which has been designated as the volunteer center. This is for any volunteers who show up. I plan to be with a white truck and trailer marked "NECHAMA - Jewish Response to Disaster".

If you are bringing a saw, please also bring the basics: boots, long pants, chaps, gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, and a hard had/sun protection. Its a good idea to also bring a few essentials: water bottle, small first aid kit, essential saw stuff, etc.

There will probably also be work for others who just want to pick up debris, haul branches to the curb, etc.

Thanks for everyone who can make it.

Philbert

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have been waiting for an official reply from the City Emergency Manager - they are having multiple meetings to coordinate volunteers, etc.

Right now, the general volunteer plan is to meet at 'the old Pamida' on Hwy 71, which has been designated as the volunteer center. This is for any volunteers who show up. I plan to be with a white truck and trailer marked "NECHAMA - Jewish Response to Disaster".

If you are bringing a saw, please also bring the basics: boots, long pants, chaps, gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, and a hard had/sun protection. Its a good idea to also bring a few essentials: water bottle, small first aid kit, essential saw stuff, etc.

There will probably also be work for others who just want to pick up debris, haul branches to the curb, etc.

Thanks for everyone who can make it.

Philbert
What time should we be there,is the Pamida on the north or south side of Highway 10,do we need chaps to cut because I don't have them,about what size wood are we looking at?

OOPS! Pretty important item! Thanks for the catch!

10 AM

Won't know what there is to cut until we see it. As a volunteer, you would be expected to only cut stuff you are comfortable with. Usually stay away from technical or huge stuff. We might have an extra set of chaps if you are working with our group.

Philbert

What time should we be there,is the Pamida on the north or south side of Highway 10,do we need chaps to cut because I don't have them,about what size wood are we looking at?

Latest posts

Back