Minnesota Storm Cleanup Volunteers - Sunday 6/20/10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was not able to rearrange my commitments, so tomorrow is a no-go for me. If there's still help needed next weekend, I may have some time available then.

Don't worry about the short notice, Philbert. It turns out that these things are not very conducive to long range planning!

Edit: someone bring a camera please.

We had about 10 people working today with our group in one of the moderately damaged areas. Will post some photos if I get them from the guy with the camera.

Drove past the heavy damage area (still access controlled). There is a lot of need there, but they are a little nervous about volunteers with chainsaws unless they are part of an organized group.

Not sure what the requirements are for professional tree services - probably need license and insurance.

There may be info posted and updated on the city web page http://www.wadena.org/
click on the tab 'WADENA TORNADO' at the top of the left hand side of the page.

Philbert

Phil

Thanks for heading this up!

My inlaws had a pine tree go down in their yard. ~ 24" DBH. My FIL is in the hospitial with an infection in his foot. b He should be out this Mon. Between my BIL and myself, we got the tree limbed, cut, split, and stacked!

It was a good tree to use my 830 on! :greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Hay you MN guys....... Have you checked out my user group?

Update on Volunteering

If you are interested in volunteering for storm clean up, here is some additional information.

***Please call ahead to verify dates, times, locations, type of work, and if volunteers are still needed - these items change frequently in a disaster situation***

Wadena (west central Minnesota)

Wadena has the capacity to handle 350 volunteers per day. Volunteers can work from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. No volunteers will be needed Sunday. Groups larger than 15 are required to pre-register.

Volunteers should register by calling 211 from a land line in Minnesota or (800) 543-7709 from a cell phone or from out of state. Callers are asked to wait for an operator and ask about the Wadena tornado for more details.

Albert Lea / Freeborn County (south Minnesota - just north of Iowa border)

There is expected to be a large scale (hundreds) volunteer clean up event on Saturday, June 26th, starting at 7:30 AM.
Meet at:
Albert Lea High School
2000 Tiger Lane
Albert Lea, MN 56007

Volunteers will be bused to clean up sites.

More info at: http://www.co.freeborn.mn.us/default.aspx
or calling the hot line: 507-379-2979

Didn't make it to either Wadena or Albert Lea today, but was able to do clean up right in the Twin Cities (Golden Valley) courtesy of another storm last night!

Had some houses with downed powerlines, so we stayed a few hundred feet away from those trees. When the contractor for the power company showed up I thought I might learn something, so I watched.

They had on chaps, Class II vests, safety glasses, hearing protection, and hard hats, so that was a good start. Then they walked right up and cut off the limbs and trunks from the downed lines. I asked one of the guys how they could do that on live lines, and he replied, "Oh, are those live?".

A few minutes later, one of his crew dropped an overhanging limb onto the wires, causing a few to touch (3 separate wires, not triplex) and we had a sparkler show.

Stay safe!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back