minutes away from englander wood furnace purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the extra money I'd buy a caddy or a drolet heatmax /tundra yes they are more but technology has come along way . You'll get that money back in the form of less wood and messing around. Also a tax credit . Since I got the heatmax I just use my upstairs thermostat to regulate my comfort like a gas furnace I have never had to come home after a long day with no coal bed ..there is always glowing coals to restart the cycle I have never had to light a match or use kindling or fire starters or play Boy Scout making stick tepees blowing on fires in a cold firebox . Non of that hassle again .when I come home I've done a lot and I'm whipped its my time to wind down. .. no more running downstairs all the time because it pretty much regulates its own air intake to keep even temps . Just a quick rake of the coals forward and toss the wood on and walk away it makes wood burning convienant and even in comfort .im not saying it was junk but The englander required far more fiddling and reloading cutting loading stacking ect .. And It would go through a good amount of wood especially in January and slow burns meant dirty burns with creosote and black glass. Hot burns meant short burn times and a 80 degree house with windows open wasting hard earned wood . There are good and bad in both styles of wood furnace but all in all after several months inTo the heating season I'm glad I made the switch . I live in northwest pa in a 2,000 sq ft split level

Last edited:
When the weather temps are normal in this area My England burns 24 hours on 2 fills 8:00 AM to 10:30 PM and lots of coals in the morning to get the blocks I put in it going. Now we have been 20F below normal for a while. I burn it hotter in the morning so I fill it a 3d time at 4:00PM so as to have a got temp in the house when I go to bed.

:D Al

When the weather temps are normal in this area My England burns 24 hours on 2 fills 8:00 AM to 10:30 PM and lots of coals in the morning to get the blocks I put in it going. Now we have been 20F below normal for a while. I burn it hotter in the morning so I fill it a 3d time at 4:00PM so as to have a got temp in the house when I go to bed.

:D Al
what type of woods are you using? I have been using red oak, elm, and ash.

Back