Misconceptions about wood species being "bad"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I talked to a guy that I used to work for today who wanted to buy some mixed hardwoods for his son who has only Applewood to burn this season in New York State. He said that he was "concerned" that burning only fruitwood would "mess-up" his chimney. As I recall, he and I talked about this same thing a few years back when I delivered wood to him. I've noticed in the past other people who are "convinced" that they had problems because it was Ash or Oak or Cherry when in fact the wood probably wasn't seasoned and who knows what their chimney was like to begin with. Anyone else here ever run into people who are "convinced" that it was a certain species of wood that was bad and they'll never use it again? :confused:

PA. Woodsman said:
I talked to a guy that I used to work for today who wanted to buy some mixed hardwoods for his son who has only Applewood to burn this season in New York State. He said that he was "concerned" that burning only fruitwood would "mess-up" his chimney. As I recall, he and I talked about this same thing a few years back when I delivered wood to him. I've noticed in the past other people who are "convinced" that they had problems because it was Ash or Oak or Cherry when in fact the wood probably wasn't seasoned and who knows what their chimney was like to begin with. Anyone else here ever run into people who are "convinced" that it was a certain species of wood that was bad and they'll never use it again? :confused:

Yup, my dad...Bought a couple cords when I was a kid. He got a load of Redoak and some cherry, ash, and maybe more mixxed hardwoods. I remember him ?????ing about red oak for the longest time....He used to only season his woood for 6 months or so.....

Try telling a guy that is more bullheaded than you are...

Long story short, he burnt some last year that had been dried about 3 years...he thought it must have been some other kind of oak.....

kHm, another burning thread, (see What woods won't you burn thread for one). Green or sappy woods (like pitchpine) will tend to burn but have a higher deposites factor, just clean more often if you have to burn it and remember that first fire of the day after having a fire smoldering all night, nice and hot on a regular daily or bi-daily basis will mean less cleaning and a safer fire, and watch the build-up eh! As I've stated in a previous thread I hate burning willow, but anything will do when you're cold imo.

:cheers:

Serge

If its seasoned it will burn just fine not matter what it is so will burn quicker that others but they all keep you warm, some poeple I have met will only burn certain woods though, so I take the stuff they wont burn off there hands :clap:

I know Walnut was in the "What woods won't you burn thread." Is walnut better if it has been drying a couple of years. I know we never burned it growing up and now I just avoid it. Cleared about 50 trees, 12" dbh and smaller, this past summer, and just left them in a big pile.

Elm

Yeah, how about elm? I've always thrown it in the creek at my cabin cause I thought it was from the devil...now I've gathered that it's not all that bad after being well seasoned...is that right? I realize it's not as good as oak, but it's worth burning right?

Elm

Elm is fine. I think we seasoned ours about 6 months before trying to burn it. Split and stacked outside for that time and it was good to go.

I got some with the beetle and plan to cut this summer to burn next winter.

Sassafras

Years ago folks thought this fine wood was bad luck.. Lot of homes with fireplaces were burned to the ground by its snapping and popping embers into the room.
Today I will burn anything.. My dad always used this phrase with firewood and cattle hay.."hey it beats snowballs" if it will work. use it
Loggers snagged a green red elm a few weeks ago. and I had them fell it. They took the butt log and left me the top. They left it on the trail. so I cut a piece and ran it through the shredder, I mean splitter. Tossed a few pieces into the outdoor wood boiler. green . heck yeah it will burn. Just think how well it will burn once it has seasoned?

Last edited:
I only cut standing dead elm and have found it to be a decent firewood.

That has been My experience.

I took down a live one that was in the way at a buddy's place last year about this time. Cut, split and stacked that weekend, and part of the next.

I tried to burn some, but most of it is rotted. what isn't rotted, weighs more now that it did when we cut it.....??

I'll only cut standing dead elm if I have to from now on. I hate to split it by hand, and it is only, ok wood. For the amount of work it takes to split it up, I'll take a nice red or white oak anyday....

Latest posts

Back