Missouri Stat Fair Timberwolf TW-5

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missouriboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday i was at the Missouri state fair and they had Timberwolf wood splitters there. I have been very interested at the TW-5. So i had the guy run it for me. We split a few pieces of hedge and i was very impressed. It had tons of power and never bogged down and i was surprised how fast it was. It had every option one it. He was selling it for 8300 dollars. I almost fell in love with it until i seen how much it costed. Does anyone on here run this splitter and what do you guys like about it.

As you said nice machine until you see it requires your left nut and then some to buy it.

That is a lot for a splitter. I'm perfectly content with the TW-P1 and paid half that, but of course it does not have all the bells and whistles the TW-5 has (hydro log lift and wedge). Then again if money was no object, I'd have the TW-7 in my garage. That thing looks like a beast.

I've got about half of that in mine that I built and its got all the bells and whistles and then some. I started looking at the Tw5 and thought the same thing. I'm sure they are nice machines though.

Used ones come up every now and then. I paid $3,800.00 for mine. Had everything except the table grate. The only thing I would change is the 4-way wedge. It does not go down far enough for my liking, and ours is having issues getting caught on the other wedge and not wanting to go up and down when you adjust it. We still have our 22 ton Iron and Oak h/v splitter. There is no comparison, the TW-5 is way faster. You tire yourself out just trying to keep it fed with rounds.

Two Questions

How much wood do you split a year?

Do you need the log lift and hydraulic wedge?

When I was looking around a couple years ago, I was torn between the TW-5 and TW-2HD. I settled on the TW-2HD. My reasons, I did not need or want the log lift as it forces you to work primarily on one side of the machine, plus when I demoed a TW-5 I kept tripping over the log lift.

The hydraulic wedge lift was nice but I can install one on my TW2-HD for around $200 much less than the factory wanted. I have found the 2 standard heights of the 4-way meet my requirements. One height for large splits for OWB / IWB wood and the lower setting for stove wood splits. If you are certain that you want to try and run a 6-way wedge then the TW-5 is the only choice between the two models.

Having had a TW-P1 prior to getting this splitter I was very confident I really did not need a 5 inch cylinder for 90% of what I split. I do like having the hitch opposite the wedge. The clearance of the large tires and wheels were a must as I have to get the splitter into some pretty rough landings and this was a problem with the TW-P1. The TW-5 and TW-2HD use the same outfeed grate and are built on the same frame.

As to price, I bought the TW-2HD for about $4800 out the door with auto-cycle, 4 Way and outfeed grate.

Talk to the dealer(s) in your area. The better dealers will almost always either have or make arrangements for getting you, a demo machine for a day or two.

Food for thought.

Take Care

I bought a 7 year old (at the time) tw-6 for 5 grand. It had the 4 and 6 way wedges that came with it. I honestly have no idea how I ever lived without the 4 way! The 6 way, however, never gets put on...more of a pain and creates way more waste than Im willing to put up with. I added the table grate and have never regretted the purchase.

I would like to add the lift due to naggin back and shoulder issues. I have also made my table grate less removable than the original design...it now bolts onto the frame rather than the hook design it came with.

T.Mainus...if your wedge is getting stuck, look at the inner wedge and see if any burs have developed. Mine was having the same issue until I massaged it with the 4" grinder. I also gave it a little grease. Has worked without getting "stuck" through 8 cords now.

I bought a new TW-6 from Tom at Beaver Oak Hardwoods down at the MO fair last year. Tom is a stand up guy and I have not regretted the purchase at all. It is a splitting monster that will keep you busier then you care to be at times.

I cannot agree enough about the backsaving features of the table grate and hydraulic log lift. They are awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

That is a lot for a splitter. I'm perfectly content with the TW-P1 and paid half that, but of course it does not have all the bells and whistles the TW-5 has (hydro log lift and wedge). Then again if money was no object, I'd have the TW-7 in my garage. That thing looks like a beast.

I wouldnt brag that you paid that much for a tw1...:msp_tongue:

We have a fully loaded TW5 on the floor right now...$7000...

$8300 is full list price...

I would have to expand into a bigger market to pay for that kind of a splitter. But man it so nice i would love to own one and maybe i will some day. The thing is i could come up with enough wood to feed it but i don't have a market to sell it at. Any have any ideas or tips on how to get into a big market. Right now i am a small time wood cutter and do it just make money on the side or when i out of work which around he is way to often. But wood like to maybe make it more then that but really don't know how to get into a bigger market that's where i need some help.

I wouldnt brag that you paid that much for a tw1...:msp_tongue:

Wasn't bragging, just stating a fact. That's not what I paid for just the splitter, but the total cost for tha splitter, log lift, table grate, and 4 way wedge plus whatever miscellaneous delivery, etc. charges.

splitter

i have a tw6 best thing i have bought in a long time yes big money but good splitter good luck

Back