Mistletoe in Mesquite Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ-Az

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am having a big problem with mistletoe growth in my Mesquite trees. These are native mesquites, freegrowing trees that were on the property when it was developed in the early70's. I have started an agressive pruning program this spring on several of the best trees on my property but there are a lot more infested trees out in the surrounding area. It is my understanding that the mistletoe growth in propogated by birds eating the mistletoe and then their doppings leave seeds in the trees and the seeds germinate and grow into the host tree. I feel that I have an uphill battle ahead keeping my six large native mesquites free of the regrowth. Anybody have any ideas????

Yep, fighting a losing battle. The birds are the problem.

I've seen whole groups of trees decimated with mistletoe, some trees are dead and some well on the way, unless all the trees at the same time get the mistletoe pruned off you got no chance.

The birds are not migratory, they just hang around, I suppose you could shoot them or something, but the authorities might not like that.

SORRY mate, if I had the answer I'd be rich!

Latest posts

Back