Mistletoe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to cut it out with the part of the branch or limb it it is attached to.I read that thread Treeser and IF you want to wrap and spray tree and hope the plastic bag lasts for 3 years you MIGHT get rid of it.I always put prevention 1st but still my opinion is that amputation of the limb it is growing on 2' 0r more before the attachment site is the way to get rid of it.
AND you can ask any oldtimer around my area and they will tell you the same..So go ahead and edit my post publicly if you want but that is my stand on the subject.
You seem to think I have some inborn need to kill tree's for some reason..I am not like that at all . :blob2:

Last edited:
Sheshovel said:
amputation of the limb it is growing on 2' 0r more before the attachment site is the way to get rid of it. :
This will definitely get rid of it; you are right, Sheshovel. Unfortunately, it will kill or maim heavily infested trees by topping them. Not many tree owners want to have this happen, so if you recommend the 2' cutback option and the tree declines or fails and causes damage, you will have that on your conscience, and you may be legally liable, i.e. in court. :eek:

Pruning paint provides effective suppression. Yes it has to be repeated in a few spots after a while but if the tree is worth anything it is worth the expense. Elmore I didn't see this option in either of your links, though the Journal article has been out for over 5 years. :taped:

treeseer said:
. Elmore I didn't see this option in either of your links, though the Journal article has been out for over 5 years. :taped:
Guy, I didn't put a lot of time into researching the management of this parasitic plant. I don't have any severe outbreaks here but if I did I would probably prune it out. I believe that, short of a biological/chemical miracle, that severe pruning is the best method of control. That and use of resistant plant material.

Thanks for all the information. I will research it and see which method will work best. I will have to check trees and see how infested they are. The infested trees are 2 Laurel Oaks and a Cherry Laurel.

treeseer said:
This will definitely get rid of it; you are right, Sheshovel. Unfortunately, it will kill or maim heavily infested trees by topping them. Not many tree owners want to have this happen, so if you recommend the 2' cutback option and the tree declines or fails and causes damage, you will have that on your conscience, and you may be legally liable, i.e. in court. :eek:

Pruning paint provides effective suppression. Yes it has to be repeated in a few spots after a while but if the tree is worth anything it is worth the expense. Elmore I didn't see this option in either of your links, though the Journal article has been out for over 5 years. :taped:

For one thing treeseer If there is a heavely infested tree,I am giong to reccomend removal,so it cannot continue to infest trees around it and newly planted trees,or I am going to reccomend they leave it alone
completely.If you want to climb-up and individualy
spray all sides and inside and out of every brance of Mistletoe on a heavely infested tree..be my guest but
in my book it would not be cost effective for my customer and have to be repeated over and over an will still grow back.You have to think reality here treeseer.Is your customer going to pay you over and over to do this with a heavely infested tree?
Are you recommending to this Homeowner that he climb-up in his trees with a bucket and brush at attempt this procedure over and over for years on his trees?
What kind of risk are you taking by giving that advice?
your taking the risk he's gonna fall one of those times and die..now do you want that on your concence???
Would you want to be liable for the death of a human or death of a tree?
I'll pick the tree thank you.

Sheshovel said:
For one thing treeseer If there is a heavely infested tree,I am giong to reccomend removal,so it cannot continue to infest trees around it and newly planted trees,or I am going to reccomend they leave it alone

I agree. On heavily infested trees a liberal application of bar & chain oil to the lower trunk in conjunction with a raging bonfire will usually take care of this problem. An emphasis on resistant species and maintaining vigor is important but research and new technology is certainly welcome.

"Is your customer going to pay you over and over to do this with a heavely infested tree?"
Yes they do because they value the tree, and because it needs less time each trip.
Teh idea is to invigorate the tree so the mistletoe becomes a tolerable nuisance.

You all can recommend removal if you like in whatever role you're filling; landscaper or propagator. As an arborist, I can demonstrate and highlight the option of tree care.

Removal is the option of last resort, because it involves not only the expense, but the loss.

Creacker, while you're checking the trees, how about posting a picture?

Latest posts

Back