Mites and Bald Cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Gullie

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old Bald cypress that is probably 8 feet tall.

I have been battling mites with this since last summer. Treated with Diazanon on and off last year & Isotox twice this summer. After this last Isotox treatment, the top and the tips of the Cypress are finally a beautiful light green but the interior is dried up and charred.

What can I do to control the mites?

on bald cypress it is probably an eriophyid mite , which i have on my bald cypress. I find that a horticultural oil works very well. and i also use a miticide every other year like avid or kelthane . Im pretty sure that this mite is a cool season mite and does most of the damage in the fall and winter and early spring but the syptoms dont show up till later. so you need to apply the H. oil early in the late winter or early spring . good luck. look through a hand lens or a macroscope and the eriophyid mites will lood yellow and football shaped. spider mites are much larger and can be seen with the naked eye or slight magnifying and are rounder. john

Back