Mix ratios on Echo equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacoDustin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have three pieces of Echo equipment. They are a arm-225 trimmer and 2 saws, which are a cs-352 and cs-500p. Echo says powerblend at 50:1 is recommended. I'm using VP 50:1 canned fuel. I'm not seeing as much spooge on the exhaust of the trimmer. The 500p exhaust is almost spotless after 40 hours. This saw may be lean. The 352 has a very oily exhaust and blue smokes pinning the throttle from idle but no smoke running full bore.

I would like to know what are your thoughts on running them at 40:1. I would add 5ccs of Redline 2 stroke race oil to the 32oz can. I'm not sure about carb tuning, I've never tinkered with 2 strokes before. I also would like to keep the warranty.
I am wanting to have max engine life as my goal
Thanks,
Dustin

What about the exhaust ports clogging up, and cylinder and bearing wear? I'm far more concerned with wear.

I dont think redline is a low ash aircooled 2t oil. But if you are getting some variables in your saws and trimmer id say the tune is off on 1 or 2 of them. 32-40:1 and retune is my vote

If you are worried about carbon build up, adding more oil will make that worse, especially in that 352 with the cat muffler. 50:1 is plenty of oil to keep those bearings lubricated.
What about the exhaust ports clogging up, and cylinder and bearing wear? I'm far more concerned with wear.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ammo,
I'm more worried about piston skirt and bearing wear.. My beginning Echo collection. They get worked but get a thorough cleaning after I'm done.
IMG_20180718_195836.jpg IMG_20180718_195836.jpg IMG_20180718_195917.jpg

I do understand what you guys are saying. I just don't want to be replacing them anytime soon. I'm just trying to take care of them

I would like to get my 500p tuned but don't really know where to begin and still have a warranty. Can I get new caps? Anyone around Waco that wants to spend some high quality time with an Echo?
My 352 spooges a crap ton. My trimmer spooged a lot with Echo Powerblend Red Armor 50:1, it goes an hour now with just a few spots with the VP 50:1.
I thought sponge was not good. Similar to me rolling coal in a tailgater.. Unburned fuel

I have 5 Echo saws and 2 Echo trimmers. The saws have been muff mod and retuned, trimmers stock. I run Red Armor with 91 octane E-free at 40:1. Trouble free.
Same here except my trimmers have the cats removed and retuned also.20180310_162121.jpg

50:1,40:1,32:1 it don’t matter much so long as you can tune them proper.
tumblr_inline_ohxs0m88jz1txaa0d_75sq.gif

I run 32:1.

"Too much oil." --Never said by any 2-stroke (if properly tuned)

I would like to get my 500p tuned but don't really know where to begin and still have a warranty. Can I get new caps? Anyone around Waco that wants to spend some high quality time with an Echo?
My 352 spooges a crap ton. My trimmer spooged a lot with Echo Powerblend Red Armor 50:1, it goes an hour now with just a few spots with the VP 50:1.
I thought sponge was not good. Similar to me rolling coal in a tailgater.. Unburned fuel
Oil ratios have been beat to death on here. There are some very good tuning tips and videos on this forum. That's how I learned how to do it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Redline Allsport is low ash and that oil that Redline recommends for air cooled engines. I've run it in a bunch of air and water cooled off road motorcycles and all my outdoor power equipment for the last 25 years. I have yet to see an oil related problem with it, and deposits are low.

I use 50:1 to 45:1 in OPE. If you're using good oil in a stock or lightly modded saw and not milling, that's enough.

If you search there are threads with pics on removing Echo limiter caps, and threads on carb tuning. Make sure you understand both throughly before you remove the limter caps as you have to turn the screws to do it. I removed the caps, trimmed off the tabs that limit travel, and put the caps back on. The cap makes it easier to find the slot with a screwdriver.

If you remove the cat a carbide cutter is a good idea. I ruined a HSS one doing it. The cat is toxic, don't breathe the dust. If you remove the cat or mod the muffler the jetting will get leaner. So you must retune the carb without the limiters.

I split the difference 45:1

My ratio rite cup has a marking of 44:1 for the 1.5 gallon measure, and that is what I go with. A 1/8 teaspoon error one way or the other don't matter.

45:1 is where I settled as well. Covers not getting it all out of the bottle or a little extra (unintended) at the gas pump.

Latest posts

Back