MN State Parks and wood restrictions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I live very close to a State Park and they have put on Statewide restrictions on bringing in firewood. Well, I cut my firewood about 10 miles away from the State Park, so I really don't think if the Ash Borer makes it to where I cut wood, that they won't make it to the state park. You are supposed to buy wood from the bundles they supply or a certified firewood processor. Does anyone know if it costs $$$ to get "certified"? I know a few of the rangers and I know I would get no grief from them, but some of them checked their common sense when they enrolled in Ranger school.

In Wisconsin they are requiring that firewood used in the parks must be purchsaed within 50 miles of the park.

Sounds fair enough, but since I cut my own, will my word suffice to the park rangers up here. I only know two of the people that work there. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and they will let me use my wood. $3 a bundle for pine and poplar just don't cut it with me.

In Illinois your just not supposed to bring it from out of state. And all my wood comes from my dads farm about 5 minutes from the campground anyway. I keep it in the trailer until it gets burned anyway though. I'd check your state. Evan

I wouldn't go on hearsay from another state I would call the MN Parks and Recreation or DNR and ask them what you need.

Agreed. You need to talk to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in your state. I love this country but you need to keep in mind that state laws and decisions that effect you are often made at a high level, and it becomes the smaller local offices job to enforce them. The laws aren't always thought out in the same terms as we might like them, but nonetheless, they apply to all those who fall under their jurisdiction. Talk to your DNR, they may be more helpful (or at least sympathetic) than you think.

Latest posts

Back