Modded 390XP. It's a beast! VIDEO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure Al, love too. Never ran a 385, or 390. Alway's wanted to own both though LOL! A 288 will be coming my way I can feel it.

The difference between the 2188 and 390 is purely cosmetic to me. After looking at pics online, I'm not so sure I don't prefer the 390. The HD air filter is an added plus. I also like the idea of stair stepped Huskies 346 -> 372 -> 390.

The difference between the 2188 and 390 is purely cosmetic to me. After looking at pics online, I'm not so sure I don't prefer the 390. The HD air filter is an added plus. I also like the idea of stair stepped Huskies 346 -> 372 -> 390.

Works for me!:clap:

188254d1308883550-dsc_1740_021-jpg

Last edited:
Here is a Husky 390XP that I just ported for a fellow member. This is a 2007 model saw, but looks almost new. He definately takes care of his saws. In the past, I have felt like I got better results with the 385. Not any more. This baby has the RPMs, plus torque like crazy. It LOVES to be leaned on! I stopped by Andres to put it in some 28" wood, and was not disappointed with the saw at all. I'm especially interested in this saw, since I'm planning on ordering one soon for myself. This build just confirmed that decision:rock:

This was the first I had the saw out since doing the port work. We had it tuned quite fat to 13,200. You can hear it 4-stroking hard when he free revs it. We later tuned it to 14,000-14,200. It would be good for cookie cutting at 14,700, but no more. The good part...it holds excellent RPMs in the wood as well.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W3MiwqfXQJw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's ok I guess, definitely not a Simonized saw though.:msp_biggrin:

Al, you dont like the saw, or you just saying you like the 385-390 better? Havent run them all myself. Picked up a couple 385's like the feel. Just alway's been a 288 lover, but I am open minde and the kind of guy who will put any capable saw in the stable. Sure I have my favorite's like everyone, but any brand or model I will try, and if it earn's a place it is looked at the same:lifter: P.S I was eyeballing the 390 since it's first introduction, no cash of course.

Congrats Brad. You knocked that one out of the park. Great job!

BTW, a 2188 with the new Tsumara light bar would IMO, be the sexiest saw out there.

Last edited:
Brad, I will have one Tuesday.

....and yes, there are a few pics, I just cannot remember which thread. I believe Young or Mike would know. I went ahead and got a spacer with mine so I can put it on the 2094 as well. I got mine Stihl mount .63 gauge. The only other was 58 I believe....
Mine will be 30"

Last edited:
Nice Brad, it looked very strong holding it's revs well. I've been very impressed with my Slingered 390. I started to look for one after reading a few comments here and having a look at the specs and liked the weight and fuel capacity. It has a 30" ES on at the moment but will get a TSU lightweight soon.
I also like the 346/372/390 set up and have found I've been using them as a "set" for work more and more !
If anyone wants a look I have a quick and basic vid of my 390 on youtube,TreeworkDK, cutting a large dead Elm ready to go on the mill.

But your truck is red.
2153/2171/2188 Something like that :D

You got that right! He'd still be only half way through the first cut! Sounds like the makings of a good build-off challenge:rock:

Them sounds like fightin words! Lol. I would love to see that. But put the saws in some big hard wood. 36in plus. That is something I would love to see.

Al, you dont like the saw, or you just saying you like the 385-390 better? Havent run them all myself. Picked up a couple 385's like the feel. Just alway's been a 288 lover, but I am open minde and the kind of guy who will put any capable saw in the stable. Sure I have my favorite's like everyone, but any brand or model I will try, and if it earn's a place it is looked at the same:lifter: P.S I was eyeballing the 390 since it's first introduction, no cash of course.

Yeah I know your not the biased type Norm.
I'm just spoiled with the 3 series saws mate I spose. My 385 is a 390 these days and I couldn't pick up the 288 while the 390 is sitting there, as good as a 288 is.

You got that right! He'd still be only half way through the first cut! Sounds like the makings of a good build-off challenge:rock:
LMAO. Kinda like the 372 build off. You can make comical statements like that when one of your saws beats mine at any GTG. I like you buddy but remember, when it comes to building saws,...I was in Baghdad when you were in yer dad's bag. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back