Modded 390XP. It's a beast! VIDEO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressive saw Brad. I don't claim to know
much about porting or modding saws. But i did
get my first chance to run a modded saw last
saturday at the Maine GTG. A Husky 372, Man
was i ever impressed with that saw. That thing
flat out ripped.

Lee

Glad you had a good first impression Lee. :)

What you just said is proof why the 5 cubes kick so much @$$.

I used my saw today for a few hours and all I can say is HOLY ####!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds GREAT........the power is AWESOME.............and now it is what it should have been all along!!!!!!!!! Truly IMPRESSIVE power!!!!!!!!!!!!

It drinks gas SOOOOO fast.........that if you listen close..........you can actually hear it whisper to you...........feed me.........FEED MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Brad, one thing I wanted to mention, not sure if you forgot to drain the fluids before you shipped it back or what. But when I unboxed it, it had about half a tank of gas...........and about the same on oil.

The fuel cap was tight, but there must have been some temperature differences during shipping or something that caused a bit of fuel to leak out...........because the saw was coated fairly evenly with a coating of fuel. Took all my Husky decals right off, lol. Not a big deal or anything, just found it rather curious.

GLad you're happy with it! Guess I owe you some decals. Are you referring the recoil and clutch cover decals? I believe that's the first time I forgot to drain the fluids. I've received them that way before, but not sent one out. BTW, I recommend you run your oil at 32:1, or at least 40:1. Some guys run their ported saws at 50:1, but I like to use more oil. Not only do you buy yourself a little insurance, you also get better ring seal.

No worry on the decals bro............not a big deal at all. It actually looks kinda cool just bare orange, and it really makes no difference to me...........I know what I am running..........no one else really needs to.

Also, I hope the several hours of running it today at 50:1 did not do it any harm??................Had I known I would have made up a separate batch of mix for just my saw. I will from now on for sure though!

Well, I only ran not quite 3 full tanks through it yet. My dad had his saw too................and part of the time he was using me like a mule to carry and drag wood so I did not get to cut everything with my saw. It has SO much more power that it was hard to notice it getting stronger for sure or not. Plus there was a large difference in the sizes of the logs..............so hard to judge. I will try to pay extra close attention next time I cut..........my next job is on bigger wood anyway. I will make up some 32:1 mix..................and as I run a few tanks through..............I will give you a full report on how it does. It drinks gas so fast that I shut off my saw for a bit of a break today..................not realizing that it was dry again. When I picked it back up I tried to start it and of course no dice........................not thinking that it could possibly need MORE fuel I was like what the hell.............used the choke...........still a no go. Frustrated I finally was like, ok what is wrong? Sure enough, it was not bone dry but it was close. Filled it up and topped off the oil. But it must have had just enough gas left in the tank take to flood it and foul the plug but not actually start. Took a bunch of pulls with the choke off and the advanced idle disengaged to get'er goin. Lesson learned...................NEW SAW DRINKS GAS FAST..............KEEP IT TOPPED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

Good stuff Brad.
I retuned the last 390XP you built me back to 13,800rpm down from 14,000rpm at this forestry course the other day. 200rpm made a massive difference, even on a 20" bar.
Have a play with the rpm's mate, I've found that they seem to pull better when richened up a tad. Both of my ported 390's seem to cut better at "slightly" lower rpm's than they came with.
Great saws.

Yep,,,, Mine too,,,

Brad,

I am an ex-power lifter and strongman competitor.................and I weigh around 290lbs. Needless to say.............I am pretty heavy handed. The saw seems to BURN through wood extremely fast.............any faster and I would have to concentrate on stopping it before it hit into the ground..................so it seems just fine for me.

Ya gotta love a happy ending. :D

Everyone needs a strong running ported saw, and Brad builds a fine one. Reckon we're gonna have to do a big ass Husky build off next?!?!?!?!? :laugh:

Brad,

I am an ex-power lifter and strongman competitor.................and I weigh around 290lbs. Needless to say.............I am pretty heavy handed. The saw seems to BURN through wood extremely fast.............any faster and I would have to concentrate on stopping it before it hit into the ground..................so it seems just fine for me.
I usually prefer the added torque of a 7-pin in a worksaw myself. My 066BB is one exception.

Ya gotta love a happy ending. :D

Everyone needs a strong running ported saw, and Brad builds a fine one. Reckon we're gonna have to do a big ass Husky build off next?!?!?!?!? :laugh:
Sounds like a good time to me. Mine should be here tomorrow or the next day. Did I mention that before?;)

Last edited:
I usually prefer the added torque of a 7-pin in a worksaw myself. My 066BB is one exception.

Sounds like a good time to me. Mine should be here tomorrow or the next day. Did I mention that before?;)

No Brad I don't remember hearing that you are getting a new 390xp tomorrow, or was it the next day? :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW I sold my 026 today.

Back