Modded work saw project gone wrong=octane?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondhogvt

Reaction score
New to the site and never posted before,I would please like some advice on octane requirements for modded work saws.First off a little background not to bore you but I have a fair knowledge of 2-strokes,raced snowmachines for years,Mercury Sno-twister now thats a machine ahead of its time. And now my son races dirtbikes so I have met some good engine guys way smarter then me and always try to get the best I can afford. So watching this site and studying for 2yrs I decided to join.My interest in a modded work saw has many reasons,

1.I have gotten old
2.I have arthritis
3.I cannot handle a heavey saw for 8-10hrs.
4.I want the lightest most powerful saw I can afford and I love reading what you guys are doing to help us loggers,thankyou.
5.I don't cut alot of wood but like I said I got old,usually 2 tractor trailer loads a week and every third week another load of pulp in winter only as I do Pondbuilding in the summer,Hopefully.
6.So reading this site encouraged me to mod one of my old limbing saws last week 254xpg.

Well I decided to go the BLSNELLING and MASTERMIND route as I like what I have read from their threads,Glad to here Brads OK,been there myself alittle different but they all hurt and it took guts to post your mistake like that and I respect you for that.

Anyway the machinist made a big mistake,Big!!! Can any one give me a ballpark compression number before I have to go to race gas or some higher Octane fuel so I don't detonate. I tried to compensate and did raise the exhaust port to stock and lowered piston top by transfers as they were blocked alittle,then I did the porting and muffler mod,It runs quite respectable,I sure wish some genius would make a compact tuned pipe for these that you could still work with.My friend has a dyno and I'm going to figure some jig or fixture to attach a chainsaw to it.

I guess the real lesson is to hire competent help. Just trying to figure out the upper limit for pump gas before detonation,thankyou,Mark.

New to the site and never posted before,I would please like some advice on octane requirements for modded work saws.First off a little background not to bore you but I have a fair knowledge of 2-strokes,raced snowmachines for years,Mercury Sno-twister now thats a machine ahead of its time. And now my son races dirtbikes so I have met some good engine guys way smarter then me and always try to get the best I can afford. So watching this site and studying for 2yrs I decided to join.My interest in a modded work saw has many reasons,

1.I have gotten old
2.I have arthritis
3.I cannot handle a heavey saw for 8-10hrs.
4.I want the lightest most powerful saw I can afford and I love reading what you guys are doing to help us loggers,thankyou.
5.I don't cut alot of wood but like I said I got old,usually 2 tractor trailer loads a week and every third week another load of pulp in winter only as I do Pondbuilding in the summer,Hopefully.
6.So reading this site encouraged me to mod one of my old limbing saws last week 254xpg.

Well I decided to go the BLSNELLING and MASTERMIND route as I like what I have read from their threads,Glad to here Brads OK,been there myself alittle different but they all hurt and it took guts to post your mistake like that and I respect you for that.

Anyway the machinist made a big mistake,Big!!! Can any one give me a ballpark compression number before I have to go to race gas or some higher Octane fuel so I don't detonate. I tried to compensate and did raise the exhaust port to stock and lowered piston top by transfers as they were blocked alittle,then I did the porting and muffler mod,It runs quite respectable,I sure wish some genius would make a compact tuned pipe for these that you could still work with.My friend has a dyno and I'm going to figure some jig or fixture to attach a chainsaw to it.

I guess the real lesson is to hire competent help. Just trying to figure out the upper limit for pump gas before detonation,thankyou,Mark.

I have run 195 psi on 91 octane with 10 percent ethanol pump gas.

You can always cut a little out of the combustion chamber and lower the compression.
Later
Dan

254 mod

lovely saw, i have the same one the handles no longer warm up despite hours of playing with, they should work my meter tells me so:msp_scared:

i would have left your saw standard, they last forever :rock:

Back