Modern Horse Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excavator then a tubgrinder , they'll replant from what I've been told but they sure have taken a lot of nutrient out of the ecosystem that is already topsoil poor .

It sounds like it is more in pain of the butt then it is worth!

I don't see how they can remove stumps and come out at a net profit on energy. But again I don't see how there is much of any profit in a lot of what has been shown in this thread or some pulp projects.

Sam

Haha. I made the mistake of saying something similar to my Dad one time. The "Old Man" looked me right in the eye and said: "That's the problem son, you just don't see".

Andy

Haha. I made the mistake of saying something similar to my Dad one time. The "Old Man" looked me right in the eye and said: "That's the problem son, you just don't see".

Andy

Well, however you want to take it, I'm interested in how they make money off of those processes. I can see in a big dedicated pulp operation, if it doesn't rain them out, its a numbers game and those big deals take a lot of wood, loads and loads of it to make it, then the pulp mill shuts down for one week and it all goes to heck. I've seen that happen several times in just the little pulping I've done, we made money, but not what we make when doing a good select cut job, but I'm not set up with the multi-thousands or million dollar setups that some of these bigger pulp only operations have. I can also sleep at night and have a pretty worry free life/business, LOL.

Sam

Sam,

i can only speak for the operations i have worked with, but some of the operators around me plan on 400 cords a week, half pulp, half logs, two man operation plus trucking, older rebuilt equipment, i think $40/cord is ballpark for cutting and piling on the landing.

Some of the smaller guys are working small jobs that the big boys don't want, and sometimes there is only one bid on the timber, so they might have few cords in a week, but maybe the rate for them turns out to be $60/ cord for cutting and piling on the landing. A few horse logging operations have sprung up and i have seen where the landowner PAYS them to log- i guess the fascination of it is worth more to the landowner than the timber. Some of these operators are niche guys, but some are not. Kinda half logging, half tree service i guess.

There are at least two dozen smaller sawmills in this area, and five pulp mills. They seldom all close at the same time, and the prices change often, so managing that is a few calls each week.

Certainly not sayin it is easy, but possible if a guys wants it.

-dave

Well, however you want to take it, I'm interested in how they make money off of those processes. I can see in a big dedicated pulp operation, if it doesn't rain them out, its a numbers game and those big deals take a lot of wood, loads and loads of it to make it, then the pulp mill shuts down for one week and it all goes to heck. I've seen that happen several times in just the little pulping I've done, we made money, but not what we make when doing a good select cut job, but I'm not set up with the multi-thousands or million dollar setups that some of these bigger pulp only operations have. I can also sleep at night and have a pretty worry free life/business, LOL.

Sam

Sorry Sam, I didn't take it at all. What you said made me think of my Dad. Made me smile pretty big thinking about him, and I posted it.
Sorry, I wasn't pickin', just reminissin'.

Andy

I think the reason one sees animal power being used is because the road is there. Very visual site. Want it pretty.

horse logging and the little stuff

we are logging a lot now about 62 acres and the landowner pays fairly well but part of the agreement is neatness and we cut all the way down to the twig it seems but he is paying and we are working go figure

Back