Modifications to a chainsaw for better performance...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterboy1975

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a good mechanical common knowledge. I can rebuild a chainsaw, rebuild carburetors and such, but I want to learn how to modify my chainsaws for better performance. I cut firewood and we all know the better our saws run, the more productive we are. I've got a few old poulan wild things to practice on. Where do I start? How is it done? Any info is appreciated.

I have a good mechanical common knowledge. I can rebuild a chainsaw, rebuild carburetors and such, but I want to learn how to modify my chainsaws for better performance. I cut firewood and we all know the better our saws run, the more productive we are. I've got a few old poulan wild things to practice on. Where do I start? How is it done? Any info is appreciated.

Besides having engine running to spec., the very best "modification" is a chain that's kept constantly razor-sharp. Beyond that, it's machismo, bragging-rights, and premature deafness. :msp_wink:

Productivity results from thought, planning, and knowing what not to do, not just screaming power-output. :popcorn:

(But, you were talking "Wild Thing.")

That's true how a good, and sharp chain is so important. I have seen some pretty big, and powerfull saw's that dind't cut well, because of poor filing, chain selection or just dull. I put dual port mufflers on which is very popular, and easy. I would like to look into porting, and other things someday, not necessarily to do to my saw's just to see what's involved myself.

Yeah, I believe in a good sharp chain. A dull chain on a great saw is like trying to race a drag car with flat tires. I put an edge on mine every time i fill up with gas. (or at least every other time). It don't take but a few minutes if its not completely dull and the saw don't work me so hard.

You can start with a muffler modification. That means you can open up the muffler a little bit to get better flow, removes the heat faster from the engine and give a little more power. If you can rebuild saws all right the next thing you can do if you have a saw with a bolt down jug, is measure the squish and lower it to give you more compression which will give you more torque, take a piece of electrical soldering wire and put it into the jug through the spark plug hole and make sure it goes all the way to the side of the jug. Then turn the flywheel until the piston makes a complete stroke and after that measure the piece of solder where the piston hit it. That will determine what you have for squish. There are a few opinions on how little squish you need. I try to aim to not go any lower than 0.015". Last but not least is to try porting it. That is something you really need to research and ask a lot of questions about before you try it. When you port a saw you are widening the exhaust and intake ports to give better flow. There are a few limitations that you need to be aware of before you try to do this, that is why you really need to do your research. If you are going to try on a Wildthing, look up Mastermind7864 (Randy), he has ported a lot of Wildthings and has had pretty good results. Good luck.

This is something where you need to educate yourself. There is a wealth of information here and other places on the internet; some specific to chainsaws and some regarding two-strokes in general.

I suggest that you also take it one small step at a time. Test each step. Find a way that lets you compare results. Keep a running record of each test with a description of the step you were testing. This is the slow and sure way.

When it comes to a specific saw there are proven mods, but that does not mean you can just copy what has been done onto your saw and have a good runner.

Mr. HE:cool:

Well the simple method to gaining more power is to improve the exhaust outlet flow and tune the carb for a nice four stroke sound out of the wood and a good well sharpened chain.

Yea man, start with a muffler mod. Theres power to be had with opening up the muffler. If you do it right and don't over do it, the saw will run better, have better throttle response, and not completely deafen you. :laugh:

There's lot of info already posted on the site. Go to the advanced search and search for muffler modding.

It's pretty much taking the muffler apart, cutting out or drilling holes into the baffles and opening up the exhaust outlet bigger. Some will also add a dual port muffler or just drill an extra port. You can buy screw on deflectors to cover your extra port hole and be able to maintain a sparkscreen.

044 is a great saw to use and to work on. I ported mine just recently and got some great gains out of it. Very well built saw. Did my SD 120si also and that made some awesome gains as well.

Latest posts

Back