Modified Harbor Freight Jib For Small Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahohay

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I thought others might get ideas from this simple set up that enables me to recover smaller quantities of wood without taking a skidsteer and dump trailer to the job. It required 3 items all from H.Freight- a pickup bed jib, the 2500# ATV winch, and jumper/power supply. Total cost was approximately 150.00 with coupons. The steel was all scrap.

The base was cut off the pickup bed jib and welded to the top of a piece of 3" pipe (salvaged from old school satellite dish install) added a pulley and receiver for the winch. The pipe slides through a guide installed in the bed, and sits in a receiver that rests on top of my receiver hitch.

It sets up in less than 2 minutes, the jumper/power supply is just hung on the jib with a bungee. Loading requires only one hand to guide the log, and a thumb on the winch remote. Use extreme caution and common sense. Sloping ground will cause the boom to pivot, tongs are dangerous, and the list goes on.
The birch log was donated by member "Icehouse"
IMG_1467.jpg IMG_1470.jpg IMG_1472.jpg

I had a similar thought for one but was considering putting it in the receiver hitch for loading big rounds in the bed of the truck. Since I’m not dealing with logs it makes more sense for me to just roll the rounds up the ramp into the trailer. I like your setup.

I had a similar thought for one but was considering putting it in the receiver hitch for loading big rounds in the bed of the truck. Since I’m not dealing with logs it makes more sense for me to just roll the rounds up the ramp into the trailer. I like your setup.

I've had thoughts of doing this as well. Oak rounds alone can weigh in excess of 300#. I've just decided that it's easier to noodle rounds and I'm not likely to get "into" the tree removal business. Too much damn politics.

Looks like a nice set up. It's nice not to drag all the heavy equipment out to grab a couple logs.
I would often pass up good urban hardwood depending on how far from home. This is working working to supply my old MightyMite band mill and wood lathe activity with the least amount of travel and fuel cost. All the leftovers eventually end up in an OWB.

This might also see future duty involving moose/elk/deer :)

Latest posts

Back