Modified my 460 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbar85

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Made some muffler mod. now need some advice on carb. adjustment.
Muffler mods. consist of opening up the baffle inside, opening the exhaust port to about 1/2' x 1" (everything behind the deflector) and added the cover which also has an exhaust port. I removed the limiter on the HA and turned the adjustment 1/4 of a turned CCW (richer) and re-installed the limiter. I also slightly richened the LA. The chain moves ever so slightly now at idle, I have not adjusted the idle screw.
Without having access to a tach, will these adjustments be in the ballpark?
How much of an adjustment (more richer) normally is made after muffler mod?

I tried to silver solder stainless wire mesh over the enlarged port but the solder would not stick to the muffler. Would brazing work?

The saw actually gave a sigh of relief after muffler mod.

Brazing will work on the muffler, but won't stick to the stainless mesh. Just braze a strip of thin steel over the sides of the mesh and to the muffler, and put a screw though the mesh.

You really need to get a tach.... (for a little as $25 and up to $130) sure, you can set it to 4 stroke at wot, but that doesn't guarantee you won't be exceeding the max allowable rpm...

Last edited:
I'm confused... if you opened up the stock port, unless you went stupid big with it, you wouldn't need to add a spark arrestor, since the stock one covers a pretty big area. Sounds like you did a pretty good job, though... same thing I did to my 460 shortly after getting it.

If I could do it again I would not remove the spark arrester. I did not like the fine mesh that was used, concerned about it being to restricted or becoming clogged. The mesh I have is a lot more coarse, mainly to keep dirt dobbers out.
Tach is now on my to get list, may just order one from Baileys. Thanks for the help certainly do not want to burn up a 460.

Ordered a stilhl tach from Madsens today, looking forward to trying it out. Probably will have more questions when it arrives

Tach got here yesterday, looks well built. Can't wait until I can check out this 460.:hmm3grin2orange:

Checked my 044 and it was taching slightly over 14000, took the limiters out and set it for about 13200 without the bar, 12200 with the bar and about 2000 at idle. I did replace the limiters and I was checking the RPMs without the clamp, just held the meter close. I guess it is accurate this way. Does all this sound right? Did not get around to the 460.

docbar85 said:
Tach got here yesterday, looks well built. Can't wait until I can check out this 460.:hmm3grin2orange:

I ordered one from the local stihl dealer 2 weeks ago....They are on back order....

Latest posts

Back