mods to 260pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I am holding to my oppinion that drilling out a jet on a stock saw to get it to run properly is assinine. Its quit a eye opener to tach a stock non adjustable carb. RPM's are way to high and cutting speed suffers.
BTW hope yopu stick around stihl tech. You provided some very valuable info in the past.

Hi all. I did not mean to cause any trouble by bringing up this topic. I do realize this has been discussed on this board before in previous threads. In fact, there has been so much discussion that sorting through all the threads was somewhat of a task.

Anyway, I think I can get my hands on a used carb for around $20-30 and use the top plate from my intellicarb, and if not a dealer told me he could get me a new one for $66. And I also think I can get a hold of a muffler from an 026 for CHEAP, which if I understand correctly would be the equivalent of opening up the muffler on my 260. And if this doesn't work, then I think I will just open up the muffler the way Timberwolf described in his post.

Rob

Hi Ben, in concept I couldn`t agree with you more, but when it comes down to getting the saw to run right, as quickly as possible, reaming is the only alternative for a person who doesn`t stock the jets. I went to a half dozen Stihl dealers when I needed a couple of jets to get my saw up to snuff and none had them in stock, and I swear that one dealer did not even know what I was talking about. In light of the fact that it appears that Stihl is abandoning the fixed jet carb on the 260, I wouldn`t expect any dealer to stock them because they are sure to become obsolete. Just my somewhat revised opinion.

Russ

Jokers, Its not the drilling thats so bad. Its the inability of adjustment. Say you ream the jet iout and it runs great in june by september it will require more fuel to run properly. What do you do then. Not to mention the fact that since I have purchased a tach it a real eye opener to see what the top rpm is on different days.

Some pics of the muffler would be great.
Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Latest posts

Back