Moisture Content of Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mswabbie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there less moisture in trees during the winter time than there is during the summertime. It seems to me that there should be less. Now my real question.
Do trees that are felled during the winter take less time to season than trees that are cut down during the summer.

It is my understanding that there is the same amount of moisture in the tree at all times, but during the winter dormancy the water is not traveling , as without leaves,no photosynthesis to feed the roots.The old notion that in winter the"sap is down" is not factual.The sap is just not moving through the tree in winter.

In my experience, the wood in pines is much heavier in the summer time that the winter. Yours is an interesting question, I hope someone smarter than I responds so I can find out too.

I hear all kinds of things...I would go with area, climate, amount of rain, time of year, hard or softwood, species effects weight and moisture content.....What I would go with depends on where you live. Sap up sap down...I don't have a clue but veneer buyers in my area pay about $0.50 to $1.00 a bdft more for log taken during the hard freeze....Something about quality....I would have to say they are right....Sawmills don't care for the most part and exports don't care....for the most part.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back