Moisture measurement (not again !!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanboy2k

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all. I have been stacking up my wood, along a 300ft fence, 1 row; I split and stack it, and cover it with a bunch of old corrugated steel roofing sheets that used to grace my barn.

I have been intrigued of late by the discussions re: moisture content. However, I've not had much luck so far with this. I purchased a 69.00 Extech Instruments Pocket-Size Moisture Detector, Model# MO100, but alas, it measured relative moisture from 0 - 100. You have to use a table to interpret the % moisture. Not good. I returned that.

So now I have the $19.00 JT-2G handy Osprey model.

For wood that has been cut for a month say, is it likely that the ends will show up with very minimal moisture (like 0-5%)? It does appear to work, though, as poking it into the bark of some more green wood does send it up to 39%.

At any rate, is it best to disregard both the outer and end measurements, and simply measure from the center, by cutting it fresh when doing so?

Thanks ... and I do hope this thread isn't too much of a bother. (I did review the earlier threads and i'm more interested in the actual technique of using a moisture meter, I suppose).

john

"At any rate, is it best to disregard both the outer and end measurements, and simply measure from the center, by cutting it fresh when doing so?"

Short answer, yes.

I have had the best results checking a freshly cut or split piece of wood, outside measurements tend to be very random. Grab your maul and head to the woodpile. Grab a few "samples", re-split them and measure the newly exposed side. Aaron

Indeed.... I did split 2 different samples, one from a tree that died (as it were) from a storm on 6/4 or so, and another that is much older like felled last year). The former was 40% + inside as one would expect, and the latter was 29%.

I covered it today with my steel sheets to minimize rain fall issues and so I rather think I'm all set. Here's a pic of my stack ... 112 ft. long or so. I'll use about 2/3 of this this winter I suspect...

john.:greenchainsaw:

Btw... I use black rubber straps to hold down the sheets so that the wind doesn't bother me over the winter. I also run a single layer of steel sheet along the TOP rail of the fence on the windward side (facing west) - left in the picture, so as to minimize a bit of the winter windriven rain effect.

Seems to work well ... but I'll know better hopefully this year with ye olde moisture metre.

john.

Latest posts

Back