Firewood Measuring Sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it says near the beginning of the thread, it does not matter to a lot of people. However, some folks with small stoves, or who sell wood to fussy customers might care.

And most of us have thought about some way to do this.

I have personally: ‘eyeballed’, used my guide bar, used a dedicated stick (wood, PVC, whatever), and tried some devices that attached to the saw handle or bar nuts. They all ‘worked’.

Lots of of other devices described in these threads: paint, chalk, story poles, etc.

The magnetic sticks are just so simple, easy, and effective. Measure once; cut once. I really like them.

Philbert
After seeing the many devices shown, I understood the reason for 10 pages but when I thought it was just 10 pages of pictures of 17 inch long chunks of broom handle or pvc, I couldn’t understand how it garnered so many replies.

Was looking at buying one of these measuring devices but they are either hard to find or will take forever to ship it with it being the holidays. Bailey's is sold out of the accu stick until Jan 8th. Have a Tractor Supply near me but don't think they sell anything like this. Maybe I will try to make one myself. What all is needed to make something like this? Seems like it should be simple but just can't picture how it would be put together. Read through a few of the pages but not every single one. I seen someone using a magnetic pickup tool, would the magnet be strong enough to stay on the bar?

The biggest thing you need is your imagination.. Picture what you want, dig through the materials you have, and then buy the 1 or 2 you need.
Do you want it magnet mounted?
Do you want it to be screwed onto the bar nuts?
How about a plate you put under the bar nuts?
What material do you have available? Fiberglass, PVC, aluminum, etc. can all be good options.

FYI, details of how I built mine are in post 161. But I've seen simpler ones after rereading through this thread.

The biggest thing you need is your imagination.. Picture what you want, dig through the materials you have, and then buy the 1 or 2 you need.
Do you want it magnet mounted?
Do you want it to be screwed onto the bar nuts?
How about a plate you put under the bar nuts?
What material do you have available? Fiberglass, PVC, aluminum, etc. can all be good options.

FYI, details of how I built mine are in post 161. But I've seen simpler ones after rereading through this thread.
I am going to try out a zip tie attached to the handle. Not sure how well it will work but will see. Still want to make something that attaches to the bar with a magnet.

Will check out the other posts

In case you thought that I was joking . . . .
View attachment 877429
part # 00004004900
View attachment 877430
part # 00004000200

Philbert
I have seen those before but never actually looked into that. Anyone hear actually use this device? Not looking to get one, prefer to KIS it lol. Got enough things that run off a battery, don't need anymore. Would get annoying you go to use it and it have a dead battery.

Was looking at buying one of these measuring devices but they are either hard to find or will take forever to ship it with it being the holidays. Bailey's is sold out of the accu stick until Jan 8th. Have a Tractor Supply near me but don't think they sell anything like this. Maybe I will try to make one myself. What all is needed to make something like this? Seems like it should be simple but just can't picture how it would be put together. Read through a few of the pages but not every single one. I seen someone using a magnetic pickup tool, would the magnet be strong enough to stay on the bar?

I've just received the 2 links below ... the "sticks" are an incredibly tight fit and won't need any glue, I normally go for 9 / 10" logs so will just cut the sticks to length and if the end's not highly visible put some coloured tape on it or cut a circular disc from cardboard or plastic and mount it on the end.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Okra-Cake-Dowels-Wood-Rods/dp/B00T3MQIUM?th=1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Ear...emsV2WithMLRv3&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219
The magnets are really strong and the sticks incredibly light, they can either be mounted on the bar itself, I'm not sure what the teeth that stick out from the body are called but also from them or the nuts that that hold the "bar cover" in place so lots of different options.

Latest posts

Back