Moisture meters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a cheapie general tool moisture meter. I find it to be "close enough". I finish my wood in a climate controlled room though and compare the moisture content to know dry wood in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use a pinned lignomat meter. I check everything about once a quarter on the wane edge. I have found that edge without bark is within one percent of anywhere else on the board once below about 16% while drying. I really don't care about the number, I just look for it to come to equilibrium before I bring it in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So im hoping to start selling a bunch of slabs soon, im probly going to pick up the stihl meter when i can. Whats the magic number i need to be before i can advertise and start selling slabs?

So im hoping to start selling a bunch of slabs soon, im probly going to pick up the stihl meter when i can. Whats the magic number i need to be before i can advertise and start selling slabs?

Unfortunately, there is no magic number. It depends on where you live and what the weather is doing that week. It's all about being at equilibrium for your area. For me, on most species it's 11-13%. It can go lower if it's been really dry for a while. I like to watch it like I described above and call it good after three consecutive readings of the same temperature corrected level. I also don't do the reading if it has rained in the past couple of days or is especially humid out. If I go, the reading comes back high. Give it a day or two and the surface moisture flashes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll echo what's said above. The moisture content changes depending on the time of year especially where I live in the PNW. That's why I compare the moisture reading to that of a similar species stored inside my house. 12% is average for wood inside my house. 16-20% stored in the barn during the rainy season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back