Montgomery Wards "Water Saw"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturelover

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Yea I know, not a chainsaw, but it does cut water... sort of.

If the mods want, they can move or delete it, but since it is a two stroke and kind of different from the usual, might be kind of cool to see whats inside the 5hp, 6.9 cube Sea King. Ya'll can tell me if you see anything that needs improving or something I need to do differently.

Besides, who knows, if I get it running, maybe I'll send it off to be ported! :blob2:

Parts are doubtful, and don't know when I'll really get time to work on it, but hopefully have it up and ready to do some fishing with it this spring or summer if all goes well.

Posted about this motor in pop-up piston thread a while back.

Well, decided what the heck, seem to have everything chainsaw related running for now, so up comes the outboard.

9064cf1b.jpg

First problem was the recoil.

68caa0a7.jpg

Cut the spring off square behind the break, heated it up to rebend the end and quenched it in some used motor oil to temper.

5c2693dd.jpg

One problem down!!
8cf1bca6.jpg

Next was sanding the coil and flywheel magnets. Points and such looked good, and not sure about the tape around the condenser wire. Will check the gap before final assembly, and look at the electrical tape, may replace it with some heat-shrink or something.

e2bd384d.jpg

So stuck on the flywheel and newly re-wround starter and put a plug to her and I'll be, she fired!!!! Why can't my Shindy 500 be so forgiving!!?!?!?!

Guess next is to see why the compression is marginal, hopefully its something simple like stuck rings, will then have to see about fuel and such.

Not absolutely sure about that motor, but I think it was also available from a few other mass-marketers like Western Auto , Alden's and of course, Sears. Assembled from some contract parts and recycled lower-unit assembly that was originally from the old Clinton outboards. Also available under the maker's name: Eska.
Yours has Techumseh ignition (parts are easy to find), so I imagine the rest is Techumseh, too.

Now you have a little info; I'm sure Google will help a lot more.

does the F-N-R shift good, i had the same motor stuck in reverse still use it today :rock: the engine is a clinton engine you can put a modded 5 horse briggs on top of the lower unit and not have to worry about a water pump and mixed gas

Well, this 5hp is just a direct drive, but my 7hp had a forward/neutral gear, but the clutch went and its now stuck in forward.

And bet it does Bubbles Up, the 7hp Sea King does very well with my 12' V bottom.

And this, along with my 7hp is a Clinton engine, hopefully I can find some parts for this one, and a good source for the 7hp if needed down the road.

Got it the powerhead off the lower unit and found my first problem...

Will need a seal.

dd4baba7.jpg

Pop up!!!!

c7389958.jpg

Exhaust ports

c7262667.jpg

Reed valve setup. Pretty cool, have only seen the one or two flapper reed valves before.

75771779.jpg

113cc's of cylinder.

Picture377.jpg

Exhaust and intake ports.

Picture375.jpg

Picture376.jpg

Well, guess all that is left for me for the overhaul is to see if I can find a seal, try and get the top off it to check the upper seal and it seems to have a lot of slack somewhere at TDC, either rod or crank bearing, but doubt I'll be able to find those. You can see the roller pins in one of the pictures above. The p/c and rings look new, but ring gap is beyond specs. Will run it anyhow, as probably only a few of internal parts would work on the 7hp.

Sooo, what about a port job!:msp_w00t: (doesn't really look like much is there to work with....)

Waterfowlers love those old air cooled clintons no water pump to suck up mud. Ibots.com has some good outboard wrenches on it. If you need parts I did know of some it's been a couple of years but I would check if you need me to.

Waterfowlers love those old air cooled clintons no water pump to suck up mud. Ibots.com has some good outboard wrenches on it. If you need parts I did know of some it's been a couple of years but I would check if you need me to.

Aww, see my pic links have messed up or something.

Anyway, no progress on this as I've not found crank seals for it.

Fifelaker, thanks for the info, if you know of someone who has the crank seals for it, I believe I could get this thing to running again, though still need to look at the carb and lower unit. I could use some other parts too, for my 7hp, if anyone has anything.

Seen this yesterday. called Bob this A.M. He is working out of state he will be back in a month or so. He did sell some of his treasures but he still has some just not sure what. I did google and found there are some parts out there. get me the #'s off your motors and I will see what he has when he gets back.

Latest posts

Back