morbark 18

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capecodtree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a morbark 18 with a 213hp cat, 1000hrs, twin axle, rear stabilizers, winch and hydraulic jack. Fluids, hoses and paint all good. I bought it to expedite crane removals. Any comments on this machine, engine, etc.?

I just bought a morbark 18 with a 213hp cat, 1000hrs, twin axle, rear stabilizers, winch and hydraulic jack. Fluids, hoses and paint all good. I bought it to expedite crane removals. Any comments on this machine, engine, etc.?

What'd you pay for it? I'm looking at an 03 right now with the grapple, and only 300 hours. Guy is asking $30K

2005 morbark

I paid 25k, it was a repo. I took a little bit of a chance on the machine having no back ground info available. We used it for a little bit today, it ran fine. Tomorrow we change the oil and all filters. Only time will tell if this was agood deal or not. Jim

I paid 25k, it was a repo. I took a little bit of a chance on the machine having no back ground info available. We used it for a little bit today, it ran fine. Tomorrow we change the oil and all filters. Only time will tell if this was agood deal or not. Jim

I think you will like it. Change the oil every 250-300 hours. Make sure the clutch is adjusted right or you will go thru them. Some say Cat on the cowling but Perkins on the engine. Our 2005 Morbark has 3400 hours and going strong. Vibration loosen's stuff.
Jeff

Morbark Hurricain 18

This is an old thread but i am wondering if you or anyone else out there has had trouble with catostrophic failures with the 213 HP CAt engine?

I have had a machine since 2007. the engine has suffered catostrophic failures twice. the first was wihtin the first 20 hours of operation. likely a bearing failure. The second failure was at 1440 hours, a broken rod. I have six chippers with a variety of engines and no serious problems. This is the only one with the 213 HP CAT. I am looking around to see if there is a chronic problem or if I am just the lucky one with two lemon engines.

We have a good mechanic, daily MTc and PM program plus experienced crews. Thanks for your help.

i had to replace the computer? (tach, throttle, gauges). other than that it runs like a champ.

Back