morbark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffrockhall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i do part time tree work, i was thinking on buying a morbark 6" with a diesel, looking for any comments, do you think the machine can really handle 6" material without any promblems.......

You'll soon find yourself wishing you'd bought a 9 or 12" chipper, IMO. Local rental yard has had nothing but problems with theirs, they went back to vermeer 625's. The one I used once would handle 2-3" material, about 4" at a time with the autofeed. Very exasperating.
-Ralph

I won't buy anything smaller than 12" Disc with atleast 80HP Diesel. We usually have several Morbark 12 with 80 HP Cummins Diesel for sale.

A nine inch chipper would be the min. I would consider for commercial work, even part time. You would spend so much time limbing the branches to feed a six inch chipper that you would be better off just hand loading it into a truck.

i was gonna get a 9, the dealer offered me a 12 for a great price and i bought the 12. no regrets what so ever. the first job i used it on was taking down some pine trees about 12 inches in diameter, chipped all the pines, logs and all. i have a place to dump the chips for free, so if i would have bought the 9 inch i'd had to pay to dump the logs that the 9 inch wouldnt chip. it saved me money already. everything i buy i tend to use it to its max. always go as big as you can, or you'll wind up wishin ya had.

Jeff, I do this part-time as well and rented a 6" and a 9". The 9" Vermeer wasn't bad, however I decided that a 12" would cover most of my needs with alot less cursing! I found a 03' 1230A Vermeer with dual feed rollers to handle the brushy, viney stuff that can be a problem with a single feed roller machine. Try to stay with 80 horses or more, keep the blades sharp and you won't look back.

Back