More dyno #'s Ported vs oem 100 vs 92 and ignition advance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been real curious about that. Most people do not consider oil to be fuel. You are saying not only is it fuel but real good fuel. Can't wait to see those tests.

The more oil = more power is nothing new, like TM said. Really it amazes how many have argued with me about this very issue, when It's been proven in testing over the last 50 or so years. Still I'm interested in seeing the results proven once and for all in a saw.:cheers:

The more oil = more power is nothing new, like TM said. Really it amazes how many have argued with me about this very issue, when It's been proven in testing over the last 50 or so years. Still I'm interested in seeing the results proven once and for all in a saw.:cheers:

When am I going to get paid for all these tests:msp_biggrin: I'll test that one too I guess. I myself find it hard to believe that more oil makes more power

When am I going to get paid for all these tests:msp_biggrin: I'll test that one too I guess. I myself find it hard to believe that more oil makes more power

Some think more oil raises compression via better ring seal...
I theorize it's something else... :msp_wink:
Or possibly a bit of both...
Clue:
Liquid don't compress...
And stuff...
Mad professor care to expound on this???
:msp_sneaky:

Last edited:
Part of the answer to "more oil = more power" has to be that the oil contains more chemical energy then the gas per given volume. When you increase the ratio of oil in the fuel you also increase the energy content of the fuel. It's the same reason low octane gas and diesel fuel contain more energy then high octane gas. Those longer chain hydrocarbons contain a fair bit more energy. I'm not an engine expert but I would guess in a high compression saw a good bit of that oil is being burned as fuel and, to a point, the more oil you add the more power you will get.

I agree, ring seal is only one part of the equation, as is the type of oil used. With that said ring seal is a know power gain, and is mentioned in about every two cycle tuning book I've read.

All the testing is a lot of work, I respect your abilities and dedication in making a viable dyno.

Part of the answer to "more oil = more power" has to be that the oil contains more chemical energy then the gas per given volume. When you increase the ratio of oil in the fuel you also increase the energy content of the fuel. It's the same reason low octane gas and diesel fuel contain more energy then high octane gas. Those longer chain hydrocarbons contain a fair bit more energy. I'm not an engine expert but I would guess in a high compression saw a good bit of that oil is being burned as fuel and, to a point, the more oil you add the more power you will get.

I would think that it may be making more power because it's actually making the tune leaner. Less gas for the same volume of liquid going through the carb. But then again what would I know Im just a Gaylord Focker RN.

I just see more power at 32:1......and I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that the bearings are well lubed. I'm not too worried about the "whys".

I'll let all you smart guys figure that stuff out. :msp_smile:

I just see more power at 32:1......and I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that the bearings are well lubed. I'm not too worried about the "whys".

Is that synthetic? Im running 40:1 ultra and have often considered going to 32:1. but wasn't sure if that was too much.

Is that synthetic? Im running 40:1 ultra and have often considered going to 32:1. but wasn't sure if that was too much.

Here's what I run.......and I ain't changing.

87 non-E (because they sell more and I figure it's fresher)
3 oz per gallon of Torco race fuel concentrate.
4 oz per gallon of Belray H1R.

i think you are right on point here. the more heavy hydrocarbons the closer you get to fuel oil instead of gasoline. may be wrong but it makes sense to me. if that makes any sense what-so-ever :dizzy:

No need to be smart, you just need to do simple math. Pump Gasoline can have as little as 114,000 BTU/Gal and 2 cycle oil can be up to 138,000 BTU/gallon.

Forgot to add: the extra lubrication might also make a difference. As far as the lean or no lean debate goes - when you adjust the carb and check the plug, what you are doing is tuning for the amount of fuel and air that reaches the combustion chamber. So there's no such thing as it running leaner if it's properly tuned, regardless of ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I run.......and I ain't changing.

87 non-E (because they sell more and I figure it's fresher)
3 oz per gallon of Torco race fuel concentrate.
4 oz per gallon of Belray H1R.

I changed that a bit for the 372...

91 non-E
4 oz WD40
3 oz per gallon Tobasco sauce.
28 grains IMR 4350 smokeless powder

Made it run mean as a junkyard dog...

Latest posts

Back